ausimian
I was curious whether it would be possible to use kernel TLS offload from Elixir. I have a preference for the non-blocking socket programming model over :gen_tcp (probably due to the brain damage I incurred by writing many C-based socket programs over the years) but there’s no equivalent support for TLS out of the box.
Just for fun, I put this little proof-of-concept together, showing how to do it (limited to TLS1.3) My takeaways are:
- It can be done this way
- It probably shouldn’t be done this way (there’s a few ‘naughty’ things it does to reach the end goal)
It would be neat if OTP offered this out of the box (although it would only work on Linux and maybe FreeBSD) and the programming model would still look like :sslI expect but just noop-ing the encryption/decryption in userspace, so it was transparent to the user.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Schultzer
Interesting, am I understanding this correctly that the “new” socket is still under TLS but can use the socket API instead of the SSL API.
ausimian
Yeah, precisely.
Schultzer
Have you done some benchmark on this, obviously TLS brings some overhead, but I wonder what the diff is of the SSL vs Socket APIs
ausimian
Absolutely none at all! Performance wasn’t my motivation for this - just wanted to see if it even worked.
Schultzer
Would be interesting to see, also would be even nicer if we could do this straight forward and use socket API, which is easier to work with.