Looking for a specific talk about recursion and pattern matching (alternatives welcome)

Edit3: Even though I would like to find this video, I am mainly looking for educational material on recursion and pattern matching in elixir. If you think you have a good source, please post, even if it is not what I am looking for!

I watched a talk on YouTube when I was still pretty new to elixir (2 years ago? 3? Time flies) and I just don’t know how to find it again.

As far as I remember, the presenter was a man, maybe in his 50s, with a dad-body, talking about how he started using elixir and Phoenix, doing everything wrong and coming back to it, when finally pattern matching and recursion “clicked” for him.
He presents a very basic example of recursive functions, starting with something like def my_func([a | rest], acc) and ending with “what is your exit condition?”

The slides were literally the code going through the iterations, and it was a pretty good production.

This talk was basically what made recursion and pattern matching click for me, I would like to share it - but I just can’t find it… Please help.

Edit: one specific thing I remember is the presenter mentioning using elixir (Phoenix) without understanding recursion and how he made it work, but in a horrible way.

Edit2: I am looking for a specific video, but I already got some great suggestions! Even if it’s not what I’m looking for, this is fantastic. Keep it coming :smiley:

Hmm, it’s quite a vague description.

Could it be @geo? Anyway I recommend his talks…

1 Like

Hmm could it be @pragdave’s ElixirConf 2014 keynote?

1 Like

Could be, thank you very much for the link. Even if it’s not what I remember, I will check it out (it’s definitely the right kind of video, even though I remember the audio as better quality)

Not what I was looking for ( the guy I remember was more of the type pragdave), but I will check out the videos! Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Watched the first 5 minutes, it’s probably a very nice presentation, but not the one I am looking for. I specifically remember the presenter mention how he tried things in elixir and got it all wrong in the first few minutes of the talk. Thank you again for the suggestion though.

It can be this talk

3 Likes

Not the one I am looking for, but holly molly, what a great talk! Watched the first 10 minutes without even realizing it was already that long! Saved it to finish later.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.