tduccuong

tduccuong

Hi,

I am running into CubDB timeout and not sure where to improve:

CubDB.select(ref, [min_key: {:tests, 1}, max_key: {:tests, 5}, min_key_inclusive: true, max_key_inclusive: true]) |> Enum.count()
5

CubDB.select(ref, [min_key: {:tests, 1}, max_key: {:tests, 100000}, min_key_inclusive: true, max_key_inclusive: true]) |> Enum.count()
100000

CubDB.select(ref, [min_key: {:tests, 1}, max_key: {:tests, 1000000}, min_key_inclusive: true, max_key_inclusive: true]) |> Enum.count()
<timeout>

The element’s format is simple, just {:tests, <number>}. I put 10 millions elements from 1..10_000_000 for testing the query. Do I miss anything, or there is better way to run query on large elements for CubDB?

Thanks a lot!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

allen-munsch

allen-munsch

Here’s what I found:

select … returns a lazy stream

Additionally:

The returned lazy stream can be filtered, mapped, and transformed with standard functions in the Stream and Enum modules. The actual database read is deferred to when the stream is iterated or evaluated

And:

If we want to obtain the sum of the first 10 positive numeric values associated to keys from :a to :f, we can do:

sum =
  CubDB.select(db,
    min_key: :a,
    max_key: :f
  )
  |> Stream.map(fn {_key, value} -> value end) # map values
  |> Stream.filter(fn n -> is_number(n) and n > 0 end) # only positive numbers
  |> Stream.take(10) # take only the first 10 entries in the range
  |> Enum.sum() # sum the selected values

Using functions from the Stream module for mapping and filtering ensures that we do not fetch unnecessary items from the database. In the example above, for example, after fetching the first 10 entries satisfying the filter condition, no further entry is fetched from the database.

You might be able to increase the timeout? Or, why are you reading 1_000_000 as a test?

This might work, but why do it in the first place?

Task.async(fn ->
  CubDB.select(ref, min_key: {:tests, 1}, max_key: {:tests, 1_000_000}) 
  |> Enum.count()
end)
|> Task.await(:infinity)

Might be able to process in chunks?

CubDB.select(ref, min_key: {:tests, 1}, max_key: {:tests, 1_000_000})
|> Stream.chunk_every(10_000)
|> Enum.reduce(0, fn chunk, acc -> acc + length(chunk) end)
tduccuong

tduccuong OP

thanks @allen-munsch, to answer your question, I occasionally get DB read timeout in prod. I wanted to do some stress test to see where the problem is, hence that {:tests, <number>}.

In prod I also did streaming and chunking, but the timeout persists, ofc increasing timeout can help, but that is not the solution. Now, if I simply have this:

Interactive Elixir (1.18.3) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> 1..1_000_000 |> Enum.map(&{:tests, &1}) |> Enum.count()
1000000

It returns very fast. But not the case for my original CubDB query above. So my naive stress test is just to find out if I can improve anything from CubDB side? Assuming 1 millions of records must be returned, despite after filtering, mapping, etc.

Thanks a lot!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews