SunPoke04

SunPoke04

Hello, I’ve just created a simple Phoenix app with mix phx.new, then tried to run mix phx.server.

But, everytime I run that, it can’t compile the “telemetry” dependency. Always with the same error

**(Mix) Could not compile dependency :telemetry, "escript rebar3 bare compile --paths _build/dev/lib/*/ebin" command failed. Errors may have been logged above. 
You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile telemetry --force" or clean it with "mix deps.clean telemetry"

However, if I manually run any of these commands, we go back to the same errors, also there is no errors above it, it only has the ===> Compiling telemetry message.

I’m on windows, but that shouldn’t be too much of a difference.

Versions:

Erlang/OTP 27
Elixir 1.17.3 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 25)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

First obvious question, is rebar3 available on your system?
try mix local.rebar and see if that wants to overwrite, if not install it.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Can you also please put the whole output since running mix phx.server? Remove both deps and _build folders, and then do mix deps.get and mix phx.server. Thank you :slight_smile:

SunPoke04

SunPoke04 OP

Yes! I’ve ran that multiple times and I have a separate rebar3 binary installed for gleam, tried it with both, same results

SunPoke04

SunPoke04 OP

I can’t upload images for some reason, but it’s just the ===> Compiling x messages until it reaches telemetry, then it throws that error.

Eiji

Eiji

Here is a correct output of mix deps.compile on newly generated project:

$ mix deps.compile
==> file_system
Compiling 7 files (.ex)
Generated file_system app
==> decimal
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
Generated decimal app
==> mime
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated mime app
==> nimble_options
Compiling 3 files (.ex)
Generated nimble_options app
===> Analyzing applications...
===> Compiling telemetry
==> telemetry_metrics
Compiling 7 files (.ex)
Generated telemetry_metrics app
===> Analyzing applications...
===> Compiling telemetry_poller
==> thousand_island
Compiling 16 files (.ex)
Generated thousand_island app
==> jason
Compiling 10 files (.ex)
Generated jason app
==> phoenix_html
Compiling 6 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_html app
==> phoenix_template
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_template app
==> db_connection
Compiling 17 files (.ex)
Generated db_connection app
==> expo
Compiling 2 files (.erl)
Compiling 22 files (.ex)
Generated expo app
==> phoenix_pubsub
Compiling 11 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_pubsub app
==> plug_crypto
Compiling 5 files (.ex)
Generated plug_crypto app
==> hpax
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
Generated hpax app
==> dns_cluster
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated dns_cluster app
==> gettext
Compiling 18 files (.ex)
Generated gettext app
==> ecto
Compiling 56 files (.ex)
Generated ecto app
==> plug
Compiling 1 file (.erl)
Compiling 40 files (.ex)
Generated plug app
==> postgrex
Compiling 68 files (.ex)
Generated postgrex app
==> ecto_sql
Compiling 25 files (.ex)
Generated ecto_sql app
==> nimble_pool
Compiling 2 files (.ex)
Generated nimble_pool app
==> castore
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated castore app
==> esbuild
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
Generated esbuild app
==> tailwind
Compiling 3 files (.ex)
Generated tailwind app
==> mint
Compiling 1 file (.erl)
Compiling 20 files (.ex)
Generated mint app
==> finch
Compiling 14 files (.ex)
Generated finch app
==> websock
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated websock app
==> bandit
Compiling 50 files (.ex)
Generated bandit app
==> swoosh
Compiling 51 files (.ex)
Generated swoosh app
==> websock_adapter
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
Generated websock_adapter app
==> phoenix
Compiling 71 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix app
==> phoenix_live_reload
Compiling 5 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_live_reload app
==> phoenix_live_view
Compiling 39 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_live_view app
==> phoenix_live_dashboard
Compiling 36 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_live_dashboard app
==> phoenix_ecto
Compiling 7 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_ecto app

If I understood you correctly this is what you have:

$ mix deps.compile
==> file_system
Compiling 7 files (.ex)
Generated file_system app
==> decimal
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
Generated decimal app
==> mime
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated mime app
==> nimble_options
Compiling 3 files (.ex)
Generated nimble_options app
===> Analyzing applications...
===> Compiling telemetry
**(Mix) Could not compile dependency :telemetry, "escript rebar3 bare compile --paths _build/dev/lib/*/ebin" command failed. Errors may have been logged above. 
You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile telemetry --force" or clean it with "mix deps.clean telemetry"

Is that correct?

SunPoke04

SunPoke04 OP

Sry for taking so much time, was working here.

Yes, it’s that, it compiles all the previous dependencies until telemetry.

Eiji

Eiji

Oh, I never had such a case and now I’m interested. In normal case there should be something before, but if not then I guess there was something that Erlang VM does not handle (?). :thinking:

If we talk about a bug in some app written in Elixir then I agree, but if there is a problem in Erlang installation then it’s completely different topic since for example on Linux there are package managers and other tools, so it’s easy to ensure that all environment dependencies are met …

Let’s think:

  1. It’s not an general issue as in other OS it works without any problem
  2. It’s not a bug in all Windows installations as there would be more posts/likes/etc about it …
  3. Therefore it would make sense that something in your environment is not correct and since Elixir’s dependencies are compiling well it should be Erlang-related
  4. I guess that you have installed Erlang using installer on Erlang’s download page …

If we assume all above then there could be 2 possible issues:

  1. Broken Erlang installation (not really sure), so reinstalling it may fix the problem
  2. Newest telemetry package does not compile at all on your version and possibly also previous versions (25.x). Try updating Elang to latest 25.x i.e. 25.3.2.15 or install a newer version of it (27.1.1 is the latest one) - that would explain 2nd point in previous list

Generally it’s hard to tell how to fix it since we have no idea about issue (no warnings or errors that could give us a hint). Therefore unless you would find something we can only ask to do routine activities like removing _build directory or reinstall/update Erlang installation.

If you can diagnose the problem we may help you more. For example if the process is killed because of memory violation or stuff like that then we can go forward and detect if it’s a bug in Erlang or Elixir. So far we can’t tell you more unless there is someone who had the exact same issue …

Since it looks like it’s related to Erlang maybe you would have more luck if you reach out help on Erlang forum: Erlang Forums - Erlang Programming Language Forums

SunPoke04

SunPoke04 OP

I installed them both (Elixir and Erlang) through Scoop and I know 80% Erlang isn’t (probably) broken bc I’ve been also using gleam for some time and it uses it.

I’ll try to reinstall both of them + clean some caches to see if it fixes it, thx.

SunPoke04

SunPoke04 OP

Nope, same thing here, just reinstalled everything

Welp, I’ll try it out later in another computer, to see if the problem is local

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Did you also try in Docker? And what about that full output of mix phx.server that was requested earlier?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews