stratacast

stratacast

I have a package published with Hex, and when I wrote it, 1.10.3 was the current release of Elixir. I know that 1.11 added some stuff, and I don’t think it impacts my code (I still need to verify this), but it made me wonder, how are we supposed to be supporting Elixir versions? I’m guessing I’d have to do some branching of my code to have a 1.10.x version and a 1.11.x version if I ever wanted to add additional features in newer releases? Then is there something within the mix tools that lets me publish multiple copies or something? I poked around the web for answers but I’m not certain what the best method is

Showing Posts 1 to 2

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

Then is there something within the mix tools that lets me publish multiple copies or something?

Nope.

I’m guessing I’d have to do some branching of my code to have a 1.10.x version and a 1.11.x version if I ever wanted to add additional features in newer releases?

Yup!

The most common option is to check if a given function (that is only available in the most recent release) is defined. Let’s say you want to use Enum.product/1 that will be released in Elixir v1.12.

I’d do something like this: (along with a TODO as a reminder)

def f(x) do
  enum_product(x) / length(x)
end

# TODO: remove when we depend on Elixir v1.12
if Code.ensure_loaded?(Enum) and function_exported?(Enum, :product, 1) do
  defp enum_product(x), do: Enum.product(x)
else
  defp enum_product(x), do: # custom implementation
end

Stuff like this adds code complexity and maintenance burden so it’s usually a good idea to have pretty aggressive minimum Elixir version requirement. I’d consult Compatibility and deprecations — Elixir v1.20.2 and see which version still receives bug fixes and target around that. After all, your users should be on recent Elixir versions to receive those bug fixes.

stratacast

stratacast OP

This is exactly what I need. Thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews