m3rl1n

m3rl1n

Phoenix has always been a difficult system to manage when it comes to manage authorisation. There is a number of different libraries out there to enable such a thing. They are however limited depending on the scope or source of which the authentication data originates.

The idea is to generally store member groups in PostgreSQL and then use the information associated with user structs to perform decisions on what the user can or can not do. It is difficult to find or create the mappings for these ACL’s and also provide user interaction to them.

There is a application called open policy agent. It allows the creation of advanced ACL’s including attribute based authorisation workflows. It uses scripts written in a lightweight language called Rigo to define authorisations. These scripts can be delivered via http which make them easily interoperable.

I think it would be a good tool to use along side phoenix. Through the use of elixir’s pattern matching capabilities with phoenix authorisation can be simplified and also enhanced.

I think a library would be a good thing. That makes the interaction possible. I have not thought to write a library yet as I am not sure how the design would be. Open Policy agent is also not designed for this purpose but it has web compatible api’s. This means we able to integrate it within phoenix and elixir applications.

What do you think of the idea and whether or not it would useful.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews