brettbeatty

brettbeatty

I have a custom websocket process that occasionally receives a pubsub message it never subscribed to. It’s not a very complex module, and the pubsub message is for an entirely different customer, so I’m fairly confident that I’m not subscribing in my websocket module. I was pretty sure each websocket connection got its own process, but I’m not quite sure where else to look. The pubsub message received was most likely intended for a live view process, which points me towards the process maybe being reused.

I add the socket to my endpoint like this:

  socket "/my-resource/:id/socket", MyAppWeb.MySocket,
    websocket: [path: "/", connect_info: [:uri, :x_headers]],
    longpoll: false

MyAppWeb.MySocket implements Phoenix.Socket.Transport. One thing that caught my attention was the section on building custom transports:

Whenever the transport receives a new connection, it should invoke the connect/1 callback with a map of metadata. Different sockets may require different metadata.

If the connection is accepted, the transport can move the connection to another process, if so desires, or keep using the same process. The process responsible for managing the socket should then call init/1.

I am using the connect callback to start a linked process, but the messages it sends back are entirely different from the pubsub ones I’m seeing, and it seems like the default websocket transport invokes connect/1 and init/1 in the same process.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I’m using phoenix 1.18.4 and bandit 1.10.3

Showing Posts 1 to 1

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

If you don’t specify a child spec, then it won’t spawn a process. You can look at the channel implementation for a process spawning websocket version.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews