sashaafm

sashaafm

Hey guys, continuing from my other thread I’m still building and exploring some compile-time stuff that Elixir can provide.

Right now I’m trying to operate on the Mix config files at compile-time, but I keep getting nil values from the app keys. At first I thought that maybe the configs could only be read at runtime, but then I found this in the Mix.Config doc page:

Configuration set using Mix.Config will set the application env, so that Application.get_env/3 and other Application functions can be used at run or compile time to retrieve or change the configuration.

Is there a specific way to retrieve the config values at compile-time, then? I’ve been trying both:

inside a macro

defmodule A do
  defmacro test do
    IO.inspect Application.get_env(:app, :key)
  end
end

and just inside a module

defmodule A do
  IO.inspect Application.get_env(:app, :key)
end

but I always get nil :frowning2:. Any tips would be appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

You must be doing something wrong. This should, and in my case - does work.

Check out this repo and run mix compile:

https://github.com/hubertlepicki/compiletimeconfig

my results:

➜  compiletimeconfig git:(master) ✗ mix compile
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
"Hello"
Generated compiletimeconfig app

Which correctly prints “Hello” configured in config/config.ex

Here is the relevant commit:
https://github.com/hubertlepicki/compiletimeconfig/commit/379de75e782943f3c7bf0a50d61f2d6d859a6b05

sashaafm

sashaafm OP

Just looked at your repo and figured that I had the import_config command commented on my config.exs. I literally spent my whole afternoon trying to solve this. Even wrote a parser for the config file! :rage: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you @hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

yes, always tripple check if you do not have a typo or 1 character error before writing a parser of your own :wink:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews