ausimian

ausimian

Schooner is a sandboxed Scheme interpreter you embed in an Elixir app (like Lua/Luerl but with more parentheses). It targets r7rs-small minus its mutable operations — no set!, set-car!, vector-set!, etc. — which keeps the value model immutable and friendly to BEAM idioms. The host hands a script source to Schooner.eval/2, gets back a tagged Elixir term, and resource-bounds the work with the standard process tools (:max_heap_size, Task.shutdown/2).

alias Schooner.Host

env =
  Schooner.Environment.new(
    libraries: [
      Host.library(
        primitives: [
          {"shout", 1, fn [msg] ->
             text = msg |> Host.to_string!(op: "shout") |> String.upcase()
             Host.string(text <> "!")
           end}
        ]
      )
    ]
  )

Schooner.eval(~s|(import (scheme base)) (shout (string-append "hello, " "world"))|, env)
# => {:ok, "HELLO, WORLD!"}

It implements most of r7rs-small, the deviations are listed in the documentation.

https://github.com/ausimian/schooner

Showing Posts 1 to 1

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

As someone who grew up with Maclisp and John McCarthy I find this unreasonably exciting. And much more of a mental model that works for me than Lua. Thanks for making this happen - I’ll be sure to give it a spin on something. In fact I’ll just have to invent something so I can use it :slight_smile:

I still think the Moonual is one of the best technical manuals ever written. It was my reference during many late night session on the System-M Multics system. Multics, Maclisp and Emacs were probably why I got hooked on computing.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews