kartheek

kartheek

Heex engine validates html. Some level of html validation is needed to avoid tag soup and clean code.

Consider the following snippet:

def div_wrapper_bug(assigns) do
    assigns = assign_if_nil(assigns, :wrapper_class, nil)
    ~H"""
    <%= if @wrapper_class do %>
    <div class={@wrapper_class}> <!-- opening tag -->
    <% end %>
      <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    <%= if @wrapper_class do %>
    </div> <!-- closing tag -->
    <% end %>
    """
  end

As you can see the above snippet will always produce valid html. But compilation will fail with below message:

** (Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError) lib/<YourProject>/form.ex:177:5: missing opening tag for </div>
    (phoenix_live_view 0.17.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/html_engine.ex:227: Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLEngine.pop_tag!/2
    (phoenix_live_view 0.17.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/html_engine.ex:432: Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLEngine.handle_token/2
    (elixir 1.13.0) lib/enum.ex:2396: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
    (phoenix_live_view 0.17.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/html_engine.ex:86: Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLEngine.handle_end/1
    (eex 1.13.0) lib/eex/compiler.ex:191: EEx.Compiler.wrap_expr/5
    (eex 1.13.0) lib/eex/compiler.ex:140: EEx.Compiler.generate_buffer/4
    (eex 1.13.0) lib/eex/compiler.ex:82: EEx.Compiler.generate_buffer/4
    (phoenix_live_view 0.17.5) expanding macro: Phoenix.LiveView.Helpers.sigil_H/2
    (<YourProject> 0.1.0) lib/<YourProject>/form.ex:171: Form.div_wrapper_bug/1

The below snippet will compile:

<%= if @wrapper_class do %>
    <div class={@wrapper_class}>
       <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    </div>
<% else %>
    <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
<% end %>

The problem with workaround snippet is we will have to duplicate code. render_slot is simplified example - it may be a html block.

I logged a bug on phoenix_live_view - it is closed as not a bug. Missing opening tag error when using `if` and closing tag is not present in same `if` block · Issue #1856 · phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view · GitHub

Discussion is about the heex engine’s html validation:

  • what level of validation is needed - strict or loose, etc?
  • what should be done in scenarios where a valid html is generated and but compiler is not sure 100% ?
  • should it have configurations to treat certain kinds of errors as warnings
  • should there be escape hatch (annotation) to disable validations on a block which produces valid html which is not understood by heex engine.

Please share your thoughts on it.


EDIT:
Jose updates on github issue.

  • The escape hatch exists, you can render the tags dynamically:
<%= raw "<div ...>" %>

<%= raw "</div>" %>
  • what cannot be done is to render the tags statically and conditionally.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I think this is a good thing as is, because as soon as you introduce backdoors of things the compiler cannot be aware of it’s whole usefulness goes down the drain. If you’re worried about duplicating markup you can just make this optional wrapper thing a function component:

def component_with_optional_wrapper(assigns) do
  ~H"""
  <.optional_wrapper wrapper_class={@wrapper_class}>
    <%# whatever content %>
  </.optional_wrapper>
  """
end

defp optional_wrapper(assigns) do
  ~H"""
  <%= if @wrapper_class do %>
      <div class={@wrapper_class}>
        <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
      </div>
  <% else %>
      <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
  <% end %>
  """
end

This way the small amout of duplication is nicely contained and reusable.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This 100%. The whole point of the feature is to provide guarantees, which means that the compiler needs to be able to know 100% of the time.

The level of analysis required to infer that the given example always works is on a whole other level from simply looking for matching tags, and also immediately fails the moment more complex functions get involved.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews