adrian

adrian

Hello,

I couldn’t find how to deal with files using ash in the docs.

I found the File Type but it’s not what I expect.

I want to be able to store the file on disk and save the path in the database.

In the future I want to upload files using the JSON API.

Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The :file type is primarily meant for accepting files over interfaces. You’d add a file as an argument, and then use a change on the action to take that file and do something with it. Like you can move it from the temporary directory it is uploaded to by default when it’s a plug.upload, etc.

Really need to write a more comprehensive guide on dealing with file uploads: AshJsonApi.Plug.Parser — ash_json_api v1.7.0

adrian

adrian OP

Thanks for your quick reply, @zachdaniel !

To be honest, I have no idea how I could do it :slight_smile:

I need to add the :file type as an attribute and another :string attribute to indicate the path or URL where I store the file?

Do you think it’s possible to use Wafle or any other upload library with custom storage options to manage the uploaded files in ash?

What would be the basic steps to implement the possibility to work with files?

I guess this is not integrated with ash_admin yet isn’t it?

Thanks for your help!

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Correct on the admin question, but not yet, but we would like to implement that :slight_smile:

You can potentially use Waffle, although not something like WaffleEcto

create :create_user do
  argument :profile_photo, :file
  change fn changeset, _ ->
    Ash.Changeset.before_transaction(changeset, fn changeset, _ ->
      if upload = changeset.arguments[:file] do
         url = <upload to s3>
         Ash.Changeset.force_change_attribute(changeset, :profile_photo_url, url)
      else
         changeset
      end
    end
  end
end
adrian

adrian OP

I realized a made a mistake in the title, I meant Json Api.

adrian

adrian OP

Correct on the admin question, but not yet, but we would like to implement that :slight_smile:

I am very new to Ash, but if you think it’s a good idea, I could try implementing it in the admin.

My main obstacle is unfamiliarity with the contributions workflow, and I probably need some guidance.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

It would be a welcome addition :slight_smile: I suspect that it will be surprisingly complex but I could be wrong. Ultimately the pattern would be to fork ash_admin and then submit a PR. Everything would be done in the form component when rendering attribute inputs.

artyom87

artyom87

Yeah, right. Images and files are definitely a big problem. Although images and files are an integral part of any web project. Fork ash_admin - is just not right. There is still a lack of taxonomy in the ash_admin data tables.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews