fchabouis

fchabouis

I have a zip file, containing CSVs, on a remote S3 cellar.

Using Unzip, I can get a stream of the CSV file that I would like to decode, like so :

    aws_s3_config =
      ExAws.Config.new(:s3,
        access_key_id: ["xxx", :instance_role],
        secret_access_key: ["xxx", :instance_role]
      )

    file = new(zip_name, bucket_name, aws_s3_config)
    {:ok, unzip} = Unzip.new(file)
    stream = Unzip.file_stream!(unzip, file_name)

as explained in the doc.

Now I would like to consume that stream by reading it with CSV.
So I try stream |> CSV.decode |> Enum.take(1) and get an error ** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in CSV.Decoding.Preprocessing.Lines.starts_sequence?/5

If I write the content of my CSV on the disk and then read it, it works fine :

# write the file on disk
stream |> Stream.into(File.stream!("stops.txt")) |> Stream.run()
# then read and decode it
File.stream!("stops.txt") |> CSV.decode |> Enum.take(1)

I get the desired result, the first row of the CSV file : [ok: ["\uFEFFstop_id", "stop_name", "stop_lat", "stop_lon", "location_type"]]

The difference I see is that Unzip.file_stream! and File.stream!("stops.txt") do not stream the file the same way. Unzip seem to do it by chunks of 65k, while File.stream! streams line by line.

How can I solve this, without writing the file to disk as an intermediary step?
Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 8

ahamez

ahamez

Hello,

I don’t know if it will help, as I’m not using Unzip, but StreamGzip, in combination with NimbleCSV, for this purpose. But maybe it will give you some hint?

I have the following function that returns a stream for an object downloaded from S3:

  defp get_object_stream(object) do
    {:ok, io_pid} = StringIO.open(object)

    io_pid
    |> IO.binstream(4096)
    |> StreamGzip.gunzip()
    |> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.to_line_stream()
  end

In my case, the trick was to use to_line_stream.

I then can use this stream like this:

object
|> get_object_stream()
|> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.parse_stream()

As you can see, I’m not streaming directly from S3 as I first download the object in memory, but if you have something that’s already able to stream from S3, you would just have to replace the part that constructs the stream from the in-memory string with your stream from S3.

akash-akya

akash-akya

Echoing what @ahamez has already mentioned, the issue seems to be that CSV.decode expects stream of lines. But Unzip.file_stream! returns stream of blobs. You can convert stream of blobs to stream of lines yourself, or you can use NimbleCSV as already mentioned.

Unzip.file_stream!(unzip, file_name)
|> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.to_line_stream()
|> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.parse_stream()
fchabouis

fchabouis OP

Thanks for you replies.

Unfortunately, applying to_line_stream and parse_stream yields an error:

stream 
|> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.to_line_stream() 
|> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.parse_stream() 
|> Stream.run()
** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:

  * 1st argument: not a bitstring
    :erlang.bit_size(["\uFEFFservice_id,monday,tuesday,wednesday,thursday,friday,saturday,sunday,start_date,end_date\r\nE1-5-1-127,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,20220115,20220115\r\nH2-0-1-1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,20220103,20220415\r\nH2-0 (...)
    (nimble_csv 1.2.0) lib/nimble_csv.ex:393: NimbleCSV.RFC4180.to_line_stream_chunk_fun/3
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/stream.ex:264: anonymous fn/4 in Stream.chunk_while_fun/2
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/enum.ex:4280: Enumerable.List.reduce/3
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/stream.ex:931: Stream.do_list_transform/7
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/stream.ex:1719: Enumerable.Stream.do_each/4
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/stream.ex:880: Stream.do_transform/5
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/stream.ex:649: Stream.run/1

What I don’t understand, is the return structure of Unzip.file_stream!. I would expect the stream to return some data, chunk by chunk. If I do Unzip.file_stream! |> Enum.to_list(), I thought I would get something like ["some binary data", "some other binary data", "..."]. Instead I get a nested list of data, that looks like this :

[
 [
  [
   ["some data"], 
   "some other data"], 
   "data again"`]
]
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That’s why to_line_stream fails. It expects an enumerable of binaries.

fchabouis

fchabouis OP

Ok thanks, I needed to adapt the stream coming from Unzip like so :

Unzip.file_stream!(unzip, file_name) 
|> Stream.map(fn c -> List.flatten(c) |> Enum.join("") end) 
|> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.to_line_stream() 
|> NimbleCSV.RFC4180.parse_stream() 
|> Enum.to_list() 

Thank you all for your kind assistance and for giving me good tips!

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

List.flatten(c) |> Enum.join("") would probably better replaced with IO.iodata_to_binary/1

fchabouis

fchabouis OP

Nice, thanks @LostKobrakai :+1:

fchabouis

fchabouis OP

I wrote a blog post on the subject, if than can be useful to someone.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews