shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello, I get Persian date from my client and convert it to normal calendar like this:

  def jalali_string_to_miladi_english_number(persian_string_time_number) do
    [yy, mm, dd] = String.split(persian_string_time_number, "/")
    {:ok, jalaali_date} = Date.new(Numero.normalize_as_number!(yy), Numero.normalize_as_number!(mm), Numero.normalize_as_number!(dd), Jalaali.Calendar)
    {:ok, iso_date} = Date.convert(jalaali_date, Calendar.ISO)
    iso_date
  end

my output is:

~D[2019-05-21]

but I can’t save this in my database and have this error:

value `~D[2019-05-21]` for `TransactionSchema.purchase_time` in `insert` does not match type :utc_datetime

how can convert it to utc_datetime can be saved in db with ecto like this DateTime.utc_now ?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 5

tty

tty

Add a bogus time to your Date to change it to DateTime. e.g. “2019-05-21 00:00:00Z”

peerreynders

peerreynders

value `~D[2019-05-21]` for `TransactionSchema.purchase_time` in `insert` does not match type :utc_datetime

Your processing suggests that you only want the date.

Your schema type and name suggests that you want the time as well.

If you only want the date then have a purchase_date of type :date rather than :utc_datetime.

If you want the time, then record the full date, time, and timezone.

Using a datetime type to store a date will only lead to confusion and bugs in the long run - this is especially true when timezones are involved. For example a thoughtless shift in timezone:

iex(1)> DateTime.from_iso8601("2019-05-21 00:00:00Z")
{:ok, #DateTime<2019-05-21 00:00:00Z>, 0}
iex(2)> DateTime.from_iso8601("2019-05-20 23:00:00-01:00")
{:ok, #DateTime<2019-05-21 00:00:00Z>, -3600}
iex(3)>

can lead to a different date for the same “point in time”.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Hmm…, I am confused, I need to save my user time zone I think, let me explain:
I have 2 user in the system Include (admin , user).

  1. admin can save a time that should Include a purchase_date, this field has to have (year, month, day, hour, min)
  def jalali_string_to_miladi_english_number(persian_string_time_number) do
    [yy, mm, dd] = String.split(persian_string_time_number, "/")
    {:ok, jalaali_date} = Date.new(Numero.normalize_as_number!(yy), Numero.normalize_as_number!(mm), Numero.normalize_as_number!(dd), Jalaali.Calendar)
    {:ok, iso_date} = Date.convert(jalaali_date, Calendar.ISO)
    {:ok, datetime, 0} = DateTime.from_iso8601("#{iso_date.year}-#{fix_month_and_day(iso_date.month)}-#{fix_month_and_day(iso_date.day)}T00:00:00Z")
    datetime
  end

In top code I have written I try to convert persian calendar to normal calendar like (2018), now I think I have a problem. where is my country Time zone (Iran/Tehran 3:30) , my country type is GMT ( UTC ) : (3:30 AM Tehran Time to Your Local Time Conversion -- TimeBie)

but when I test this it backs me (“Etc/UTC”)

{:ok, times, zone} = DateTime.from_iso8601("2019-05-23T23:50:07.123+03:30")
iex(13)> times.time_zone
"Etc/UTC"

I should change my table name or not , but am I right in this way ?

just one thing I should explain, if the time was stored in db I have no problem because I make it to my calendar but it is wrong when I want to create a datetime in db and write time like (13:24)

peerreynders

peerreynders

Given:

iex(1)> {:ok, datetime, offset} = DateTime.from_iso8601("2019-05-23 00:00:00+03:30")
{:ok, #DateTime<2019-05-22 20:30:00Z>, 12600}

“2019-05-22 20:30:00Z” is the time that is stored in the database.

:utc_datetime is a datetime which is implicitly understood to be with reference to UTC. There is no actual timezone being stored in :utc_datetime. So when it’s retrieved you would have to DateTime.shift_zone/3 the time to the IRST timezone - which only works if you have a custom Time zone database configured. Only after the shift will it convert to the correct local date.

Otherwise:

iex(1)> {:ok, persisted_time, offset} = DateTime.from_iso8601("2019-05-22 20:30:00Z")
{:ok, #DateTime<2019-05-22 20:30:00Z>, 0}
iex(2)> DateTime.to_string(persisted_time)
"2019-05-22 20:30:00Z"
iex(3)> DateTime.to_date(persisted_time)
~D[2019-05-22]
iex(4)> 

I expect that the Date type (:date) is understood to represent a local date.

davidalencar

davidalencar

  def convert_date_to_datetime(%DateTime{} = date), do: date
  def convert_date_to_datetime(%Date{} = date) do
    date
    |> Date.to_gregorian_days()
    |> Kernel.*(86400)
    |> Kernel.+(86399)
    |> DateTime.from_gregorian_seconds()
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews