r4z4

r4z4

Hey all I just have a quick question on setting up Swoosh and the email confirmation. Am I supposed to be bringing in some external lib to use? There is a sendgrid package but it is pretty old and does not seem to be updated. Kind of seems like it is set up out of the box but it just doesn’t work.

Same account works flawlessly in Rust and cURL examples but with Elixir I get an {:ok, _id} response and nothing ever gets sent or no errors reported.
I did notice the difference of the docs having a domain: attribute and most examples I can come across missing it, but none of the other SDKs have it either so I am not sure that is it. I have tried it with both commented out and left in and with various domains too but still just get an ok response and nothing. Of course an error message would be nice but …

I am using a SendGrid account and adapter btw.

In runtime.exs:

      config :ex_chaa, ExChaa.Mailer,
        adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.Sendgrid,
        api_key: System.get_env("SENDGRID_API_KEY")
        # domain: System.get_env("SENDGRID_DOMAIN")

      config :swoosh, :api_client, Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch
  • the minimal alterations to user_notifier.exs to have the emails match.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this or may have any ideas

Is there something else I need to do to have the Mailer ACTUALLY deliver?

Or if anyone has any suggestions for solutions that actually work or alternatives to Swoosh if that is the issue.

Thanks all!

Showing Posts 1 to 9

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I would be extremely surprised if SendGrid through Swoosh is not working.

  1. Have you made it work in dev env? (namely not through runtime.exs)
  2. Have you tried a different API client?
r4z4

r4z4 OP

Im sure im doing something wrong but I get a registry error

** (ArgumentError) unknown registry: Swoosh.Finch
    (elixir 1.15.6) lib/registry.ex:1400: Registry.key_info!/1
    (elixir 1.15.6) lib/registry.ex:590: Registry.lookup/2

Just moved my config to dev.exs

config :ex_chaa, Ex_Chaa.Mailer,
  adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.Sendgrid,
  api_key: "....."

config :swoosh, :api_client, Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch

I am guessing the answer was no to “do I need to use that external lib:, correct?” It is supposed to work out of box with Phoenix?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Depends if you are on Phoenix 1.7 or anything below that.

r4z4

r4z4 OP

{:phoenix, "~> 1.7.7"},

r4z4

r4z4 OP

Another question I had along the way was if I needed a separate client for Swoosh if already using Finch? I did try it at one point but might have been affected by all the other weird issues this is having.

      {Finch, name: ExChaa.Finch},
      # {Finch, name: Swoosh.Finch},
r4z4

r4z4 OP

That was it. Separate Finch + in dex.exs for now. Thanks!

jswanner

jswanner

You can tell Swoosh the name of the Finch process to use:

config :swoosh, api_client: Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch, finch_name: MyFinch
r4z4

r4z4 OP

I get import errors when I add that to dev.exs, Is that meant to be used in runtime.exs?
That would make sense though and I thought that would be my missing piece. Seems strange to have to have two separate Finch clients.

Are there any guides to how people use this?

jswanner

jswanner

Yeah, I have that in my runtime config

As for guides, I’m not sure of any official, comprehensive guides; there are lots of permutations of how it can be set up, depending on the email provider, and the API client (if needed).

The individual pieces have documentation: Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch — Swoosh v1.26.2 and Swoosh.Adapters.Sendgrid — Swoosh v1.26.2

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews