Swoosh + SendGrid, do I need some external lib?

Hey all I just have a quick question on setting up Swoosh and the email confirmation. Am I supposed to be bringing in some external lib to use? There is a sendgrid package but it is pretty old and does not seem to be updated. Kind of seems like it is set up out of the box but it just doesn’t work.

Same account works flawlessly in Rust and cURL examples but with Elixir I get an {:ok, _id} response and nothing ever gets sent or no errors reported.
I did notice the difference of the docs having a domain: attribute and most examples I can come across missing it, but none of the other SDKs have it either so I am not sure that is it. I have tried it with both commented out and left in and with various domains too but still just get an ok response and nothing. Of course an error message would be nice but …

I am using a SendGrid account and adapter btw.

In runtime.exs:

config :ex_chaa, ExChaa.Mailer,
        adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.Sendgrid,
        api_key: System.get_env("SENDGRID_API_KEY")
        # domain: System.get_env("SENDGRID_DOMAIN")

config :swoosh, :api_client, Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch
  • the minimal alterations to user_notifier.exs to have the emails match.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this or may have any ideas

Is there something else I need to do to have the Mailer ACTUALLY deliver?

Or if anyone has any suggestions for solutions that actually work or alternatives to Swoosh if that is the issue.

Thanks all!

I would be extremely surprised if SendGrid through Swoosh is not working.

1. Have you made it work in dev env? (namely not through runtime.exs)
  2. Have you tried a different API client?

Im sure im doing something wrong but I get a registry error

** (ArgumentError) unknown registry: Swoosh.Finch
    (elixir 1.15.6) lib/registry.ex:1400: Registry.key_info!/1
    (elixir 1.15.6) lib/registry.ex:590: Registry.lookup/2

Just moved my config to dev.exs

config :ex_chaa, Ex_Chaa.Mailer,
  adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.Sendgrid,
  api_key: "....."

config :swoosh, :api_client, Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch

I am guessing the answer was no to “do I need to use that external lib:, correct?” It is supposed to work out of box with Phoenix?

Depends if you are on Phoenix 1.7 or anything below that.

{:phoenix, "~> 1.7.7"},

Another question I had along the way was if I needed a separate client for Swoosh if already using Finch? I did try it at one point but might have been affected by all the other weird issues this is having.

{Finch, name: ExChaa.Finch},
      # {Finch, name: Swoosh.Finch},

That was it. Separate Finch + in dex.exs for now. Thanks!

You can tell Swoosh the name of the Finch process to use:

config :swoosh, api_client: Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch, finch_name: MyFinch

I get import errors when I add that to dev.exs, Is that meant to be used in runtime.exs?
That would make sense though and I thought that would be my missing piece. Seems strange to have to have two separate Finch clients.

Are there any guides to how people use this?

Yeah, I have that in my runtime config

As for guides, I’m not sure of any official, comprehensive guides; there are lots of permutations of how it can be set up, depending on the email provider, and the API client (if needed).

The individual pieces have documentation: Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch — Swoosh v1.14.4 and Swoosh.Adapters.Sendgrid — Swoosh v1.14.4