mnkhod

mnkhod

Just finished reading about Phoenix Channels and now im confused on how i can use channels with LiveView to sync my page with everyone who is using the page.

Quick Trip with AI is telling me to use PubSub. When i try to check out the LiveView Hex Docs for guidance on how to use pubsub or channels with LiveView, i couldnt find any material on it.

I just wanted to learn more about the combined usage and its best practices, let me know if both usage is fine but i still wanna know what the community best practice and use case on when to use channels and when to use PubSub with LV.

Thanks in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 7

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You might want to look at Matrjoschka of phoenix communication | Benjamin Milde. It should make the distinction between the tools more clear. Generally the question will be why you need channels – not just PubSub – when you already have LV running (on top of channels).

manhvu

manhvu

Another case for using Phoenix PubSub in a cluster (with src demo) for you Using Phoenix.PubSub as a message-bus for Elixir cluster

namxam

namxam

I guess you are quite new to elixir and phoenix. So I will try my best - I am not good at explaining :sob:

The LiveView model allows live communication between the server and the client browser. But each user is served its own instance of the LiveView. So they do not know of each other.

The PubSub part allows you to send the same message to all subscribers, so you can notify them about changes.

In your case, you would subscribe to a specific PubSub message from the LiveView. And in the LiveView you handle the PubSub message.

You could, for example, broadcast a {:content_updated, 134} message. And the LiveView then knows, that it has to reload the data for that id.

Not full example, but perhaps to explain the difference between the concepts.

jam

jam

Namxam has it right. The only thing I’d add to answer your original question is: if you’re using LiveView you can ignore the Channel documentation. Just focus on LiveView and PubSub. Channels are useful when you’re not using LiveView, e.g. you have a separate frontend.

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

And that’s because Phoenix.LiveView.Channel builds on top of Phoenix.Channel which is why you might not need to interact with Channels directly when you are already using LiveView

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

Sometime ago, I published a blog post about how I built a turn-based battle game prototype, which uses PubSub to push state to multiple clients/players. If you are into gaming, the theme might ease you into my poor didactics :sweat_smile:.

You can check the post here: How I created a JRPG battler with Elixir - the code is also open source if you want to follow along.

lubien

lubien

This is my go to reference on understanding pubsub for the first time!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews