halostatue

halostatue

Over the last several months, I’ve been using Tableau to rebuild my long-neglected website. Tableau is part of the Elixir Tools project headed by @mhanberg, and is built on top of MDEx by @leandrocp. This library is one of ten libraries and Elixir extensions that I built. Most of these were built with the assistance of Kiro.

TableauExcerptExtensions is a Tableau extension that works with Tableau.PostExtension and automatically extracts excerpts from posts for use in index pages. Posts with an existing excerpt field will
be unmodified, and there are three strategies for excerpt extraction.

  1. Excerpt Range Markers can excerpt specific content from anywhere in the post.
---
title: My Post
---

Opening paragraph.

<!--excerpt:start-->This specific section becomes the excerpt.<!--excerpt:end-->

More content.

This extracts only the marked content as the excerpt:

%{excerpt: "This specific section becomes the excerpt."}
  1. Excerpt Split Marker extracts all content before the split marker.
---
title: My Post
---

This is the first paragraph that will become the excerpt.<!--more-->

This is the rest of the post content.

This extracts whatever content is before <!--more-->:

%{excerpt: "This is the first paragraph that will become the excerpt."}
  1. Structural Excerpt Extraction is used as a fallback when no markers are found. This configurable strategy will extract the first N paragraphs (:paragraph), the first N sentences (:sentence), or the first N words (:word). These are simple definitions based on the number of newlines, terminal punctuation, or words split by spaces.

When excerpts are pulled from Markdown content, there is some automatic cleaning:

  • Footnotes are removed from the excerpted text;
  • Reference links are converted to inline ([text][ref] → [text](url))
  • Whitespace is normalized

Rendering Excerpts

Excerpts are captured in the source content format, so it will be necessary to call the appropriate content formatter for the excerpt.

defmodule MySite.PostsPage do
  def template(assigns) do
    temple do
      for post <- posts do
        if post[:excerpt] do
          div class: "excerpt" do
            Tableau.markdown(post.excerpt)
          end
        end
      end
    end
  end
end

https://github.com/halostatue/tableau_excerpt_extension

Showing Posts 1 to 1

halostatue

halostatue OP

And I’ve now released the version that supports range markers…

Whoops.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews