Unable to access files in windows shared directory

I get the following error, when I try to access files in windows shared directory:
(I can view the directory in file explorer, so I know it is not a permission issue)

Erlang/OTP 21 [erts-10.1] [64-bit] [smp:6:6] [ds:6:6:10] [async-threads:1]

Interactive Elixir (1.7.4) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> s =  ~S"\\flsv\Finance_Dept\FUND ACCOUNTING UNIT\\27112018"   
"\\\\flsv\\Finance_Dept\\FUND ACCOUNTING UNIT\\27112018"
iex(2)> s = "//flsv/Finance_Dept/FUND ACCOUNTING UNIT/27112018/"  
"//flsv/Finance_Dept/FUND ACCOUNTING UNIT/27112018/"
iex(3)> File.ls s
{:error, :enoent}

I’m not sure the BEAM would support UNC Paths, I’m pretty sure it only supports File Paths. You’d probably need to map the drive.

There might be some functions that accidentally do, but I doubt most would.

However, a NIF or Port could easily work around that by supplying a replacement File module (UNCFile maybe?).

The other bet would be to send a PR to the BEAM Erlang core to fix it’s underlying library (which I think they’d accept since many of the functions work anyway).

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I did eventually.

That’s strange… are UNC Paths not supported on UNIX ?

No, UNC is purely a Windows invention. The rest of the world uses URI’s. Given a UNC path like "\flsv\Finance_Dept\FUND ACCOUNTING UNIT\27112018the URI version would befile://flsv/Finance_dept/FUND%20ACCOUNTING%20UNIT/27112018`, which ‘is’ supported by unix’s via their extended interfaces (the root posix interfaces support only filepath syntax, I’m pretty sure the BEAM uses the posix calls).

You know how Windows always has to not follow standards, invent their own thing (why do you think they chose \ as the path separator instead of the already standardized /. :wink: .)

1 Like

So basically, detect if we are on windows then do a UNC → URI conversion?

I just found this:

OTP-15333    Application(s): erts
                Related Id(s): ERL-737

File access through UNC paths works again on Windows.
                This regression was introduced in OTP 21.
1 Like

Wouldn’t work either way sadly, Windows doesn’t support accessing files over it’s shares without UNC using it’s normal interfaces (without using a network library that uses it that is).

Ooo, has it been fixed in the recently released 21.2 maybe? You should give it a try! :slight_smile:

1 Like