elie

elie

My first question is what does ETS add on top of just storing state in a GenServer?

In the documentation I see it is used as a “cache”, does this mean it won’t always return the latest data?

There’s a warning in the Elixir guide about using it prematurely:

Warning! Don’t use ETS as a cache prematurely! Log and analyze your application performance and identify which parts are bottlenecks, so you know whether you should cache, and what you should cache. This chapter is merely an example of how ETS can be used, once you’ve determined the need.

I don’t have any performance issues at this time? Does this mean ETS should not be used? What are the downsides of using ETS?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Nilithus

Nilithus

No expert here – but from the reading I’ve done 90% of the time you’re better off just storing state in the GenServer.

There is a couple of interesting use cases since ETS tables have some access control:

public — Read/Write available to all processes.
protected — Read available to all processes. Only writable by owner process. This is the default.
private — Read/Write limited to owner process.

so you can have shared state across processes. I believe the Elixir Registry uses ETS tables under the hood.

The other use case I’ve seen is if you are highly concerned about Garbage Collection(GC) cycles the ETS table is not stored in the process’s heap. This Erlangelist blog article talks about saving GC latency when you have large data buffered in a process.

But these are all pretty big edge cases I think. Hope this helps!

10
Post #1
cevado

cevado

Addressing your points directly,

what does ETS add on top of just storing state in a GenServer?

ETS is usually used as a way to share state between processes/GenServers.

does this mean it won’t always return the latest data?

No. ETS is a key-value store, it will be updated just as current as you update the data there.

I don’t have any performance issues at this time? Does this mean ETS should not be used?

Yes and no. It means that you dont need cache, it doesnt mean that you dont need ETS. Cache data is one of the many use cases for ETS.

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

Using ETS as a cache is only one of its many uses. A major use is for storing LARGE amounts of data in memory. This is a typical use, for example it is how mnesia stores data in memory. So if your gen_server stores large amounts of data then maybe using ETS is a better alternative.

As has already been pointed out ETS tables can be shared between processes. One thing to watch out is that ETS is a datastore not a database and the support for transactions is VERY limited. If you need to implement transactions you will probably need a process in front of the ETS tables.

There are many other uses of ETS. Another one for example is having supervisor use ETS tables to share data between its children, both current and future ones.

So in Erlang ETS is used quite often.

23
Post #3
minhajuddin

minhajuddin

You can use ETS in many places where you use your database depending on your use cases. One easy win is putting all your lookup data into ETS tables. ETS is very fast when you do key lookups. I do a little bit of ETL and use ETS tables extensively to store lookup data, to write out to ets tables as an intermediate store etc,. I also use them in an image_downloader app to keep a list of URLs which have been downloaded with their checksums and headers so that I don’t need to download them the next time I see them. I use :ets.file2tab('./data/myetsdb.ets') as soon as I start the app and do a :ets.tab2file(:mydb, './data/myetsdb.ets') before I shut down or run into an error.

CharlesO

CharlesO

Hi, please check the order of this … should it not be the other way round?

minhajuddin

minhajuddin

Yeah :slight_smile: . Fixed it

sasajuric

sasajuric

Author of Elixir In Action

You could simulate the complete interface of the :ets module with GenServer. However, such implementation would be very inefficient in some cases.

A typical example is in memory k-v. If you do this with a single process (GenServer or Agent), then all access is serialized. If you have thousands of client processes interacting with such k-v, operations are performed one at a time.

In contrast, an ETS powered table with proper knobs turned on (:public, :read_concurrency, :write_concurrency) will allow different clients to interact with the same table simultaneously. Multiple processes can issue reads and writes to the same table at the same time, and the operations can be performed simultaneously, unless both processes are writing to the same row.

An example of this in practice is Registry, which is powered by ETS tables. This ensures that client processes can quickly find desired processes, and even get some of their properties, without needing to message some process.

The thing @rvirding and @Nilithus mentioned about avoiding large process heap is also an interesting feature. ETS data is “off-heap”, so it doesn’t put any pressure on GC. If you have a single process with a large, and frequently changing, active memory set, ETS table might improve your performance significantly.

So basically, ETS is mostly an optimization technique. If your needs are simple, you can probably start with a GenServer, and consider ETS if you find performance problems.

26
Post #7
PatNowak

PatNowak

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it turns out that eg. info about Elixir modules is stored in ETS according to the source code.

minhajuddin

minhajuddin

You are right (I am not sure what info about the modules is stored). There is a lot of information stored in ets tables. Simply opening iex will create ~19 ets tables.

iex(1)> :ets.all
[Logger.Config, IEx.Config, :elixir_modules, :elixir_config, :file_io_servers,
 :inet_hosts_file_byaddr, :inet_hosts_file_byname, :inet_hosts_byaddr,
 :inet_hosts_byname, :inet_cache, :inet_db, :global_pid_ids, :global_pid_names,
 :global_names_ext, :global_names, :global_locks, 4098, 1, :ac_tab]
iex(2)> :ets.all |> Enum.count
19
iex(1)> :ets.tab2list :elixir_modules
[]
iex(2)> :ets.tab2list :elixir_config 
[{:home, "/home/minhajuddin"}, {:erl_compiler_options, []},
 {:compiler_options,
  %{debug_info: true, docs: true, ignore_module_conflict: false,
    relative_paths: true, warnings_as_errors: false}}, {{:uri, "http"}, 80},
 {{:uri, "tftp"}, 69}, {:argv, []}, {:at_exit, []}, {{:uri, "sftp"}, 22},
 {{:uri, "ftp"}, 21}, {{:uri, "https"}, 443}, {{:uri, "ldap"}, 389}]

jyeshe

jyeshe

I choose ETS whenever I need to keep data despite of a GenServer process state. When a GenServer termination would imply relevant data loss. Specially due to the let it crash approach :wink:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews