asinghbrar

asinghbrar

Hi everyone,

We’re in the process of moving our organization toward a monorepo and I’d love to hear from folks who’ve done this with Elixir in the mix.

Right now our primary codebase is an Elixir monolith, but we also run essential services in Java, Go, and Python, and our frontend is in TypeScript. As we continue to scale, parts of the Elixir system will be split out into separate services, and some of that functionality will likely be reimplemented in Java.

We’re evaluating build/test tooling for the monorepo and are currently looking at Bazel. The challenge is that Bazel’s Elixir ecosystem still feels pretty early, so we’re trying to figure out whether to invest there or consider other approaches.

If you’re running Elixir in a polyglot monorepo (especially alongside JVM services), I’d really appreciate any lessons learned:

  • What build / test / packaging tooling are you using?

  • How are you handling dependency isolation and release management?

  • Any gotchas with cross-language CI or incremental builds?

Happy to share more context if helpful, and open to DMs if you’ve been down this path and wouldn’t mind a quick chat.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

Arsenalist

Arsenalist

Hey, I see this happening in my app in the future and was doing some research on some tooling like Nx etc, but I’m contemplating just managing this stuff using mise and it’s Monorepo support which is experimental:

Benefits like detecting affected files etc may not come out of the box with this approach, but it seems simpler to get started with.

phcurado

phcurado

I have used elixir and other languages in a single monorepo. We choose to separate the tooling for elixir projects to the other languages for the same reason you mentioned: The generic tools that handles monorepos doesn’t seem mature enough for elixir.

We used the elixir workspace and it was good for my use case. This project have mix tasks that can identify automatically elixir projects and dependencies, build only changed projects and print the project dependency graph for better visualization of your projects.
Then on our other tools to manage other languages inside the monorepo, we would just ignore elixir projects.

We were using trunk based development, merge to main would release the application. If a dependency was changed, it would build and test app projects that are using the dependency (elixir workspace can identify/track this). We were not versioning the dependencies, since we didn’t want to handle different versions of a dependency inside the same monorepo. This is similar to the Facebook monorepo approach, no versioning to avoid inconsistencies.

For us it worked quite well, I would say better than expected even. It also would depend on the engineers, company development culture and project’s ownership.
One thing we could have done is to have the elixir codebase in a separated monorepo, since we were not reusing anything from the other languages and packages there. I guess this would depend more on your use case, but overall I was happy with the setup.
Atomic changes are great because in a single merge I could deploy multiple projects but you need a good tooling, automated tests, etc on your projects since a single commit can also break multiple projects. In general needs strategy for rollbacks, deployment (blue/green, canary, feature flags, etc) so you are confident whenever you merge/deploy your code.

asinghbrar

asinghbrar OP

This is super helpful, thank you. We also lean on mise-en-place as a first-class tool for dependency management, and I briefly looked at its experimental monorepo support. That said, it still feels a bit early for our use case, we’d really like to take advantage of the CI, caching, and packaging benefits you get from more mature monorepo tooling, especially since we already manage a frontend monorepo with Nx.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews