yoavgeva

yoavgeva

ArchTest – Architecture rules as tests. Enforced from bytecode.

ArchTest is an ArchUnit-inspired architecture testing library for Elixir. Rules live in plain ExUnit tests, run with mix test, and produce structured failure output listing every violation — with zero changes to your production code.

The problem it solves

Elixir has great tools, but there’s a gap:

  • Credo catches style issues and code smells within a file — it won’t tell you your domain layer is calling your web layer

  • Boundary gives compile-time warnings for declared boundaries, but requires annotating every module and can’t easily express transitive rules or glob-based selections

  • ArchTest fills the rest: dependency direction, transitive paths, cycle detection, naming conventions, coupling metrics — all in ExUnit, no production code touched

What it does

Write architecture rules as regular tests:

elixir

defmodule MyApp.ArchTest do
  use ExUnit.Case
  use ArchTest

  test "services don't call repos directly" do
    modules_matching("MyApp.**.*Service")
    |> should_not_depend_on(modules_matching("MyApp.**.*Repo"))
  end

  test "no circular dependencies" do
    modules_matching("MyApp.**") |> should_be_free_of_cycles()
  end

  test "no Manager modules exist" do
    modules_matching("MyApp.**.*Manager") |> should_not_exist()
  end
end

Key features

  • Dependency assertions: should_not_depend_on, should_only_depend_on, should_not_be_called_by, should_only_be_called_by, should_not_transitively_depend_on, should_be_free_of_cycles

  • Layered, onion/hexagonal, and modulith/bounded-context architecture enforcement out of the box

  • Flexible module selection with glob patterns, excluding, union, intersection, and modules_satisfying/1 for custom predicates

  • Code conventions: ban IO.puts, dbg, bare raise, undocumented public functions, and more

  • Coupling metrics: instability, abstractness, distance from the main sequence (Martin metrics)

  • Violation freeze for gradual adoption — baseline existing violations and only fail on new ones

Motivation

I built this for my own projects after wanting ArchUnit-style rules in Elixir and finding no equivalent. It works from compiled bytecode, so there’s nothing to annotate and no build step to change.

Links

https://github.com/yoavgeva/arch_test

Would love any feedback, especially on the DSL ergonomics and any rule types you’d find useful!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

felix-starman

felix-starman

I’m excited to put this in a couple apps I work on that are older and perpetually are in the middle of removing an old pattern slowly

felix-starman

felix-starman

Some igniter tasks for common patterns you think would be typical would be cool

I imagine people likely wouldn’t use it to keep things up to date, but for a first generation of stuff it would probably be useful.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I cannot quickly guess from the front page: are those test blocks kind of like an extension of a standard ExUnit.Case? Or are they an actual test file and assertions should go below the f.ex. modules_matching("MyApp.**.*Service")? Seems to be the latter but I want to make sure.

yoavgeva

yoavgeva OP

Thanks! That’s exactly the use case the freeze mechanism was designed for — snapshot current violations, only fail on newly introduced ones as you refactor. Let existing tech debt be,
enforce the new direction going forward.

The Freezing guide walks through the full workflow if useful.

yoavgeva

yoavgeva OP

Yes, plain ExUnit test files — use ArchTest just imports the DSL macros. Each test block is a standard ExUnit.Case test, and the assertions raise if violated:

defmodule MyApp.ArchitectureTest do
use ExUnit.Case
use ArchTest

test "services don't call repos directly" do
  modules_matching("MyApp.**.*Service")
  |> should_not_depend_on(modules_matching("MyApp.**.*Repo"))
end

end

Nothing special — just ExUnit. The pipe is the assertion itself. The Getting Started guide has the full setup walkthrough.

yoavgeva

yoavgeva OP

Great suggestion @felix-starman — shipped in v0.2.0 :tada:

mix igniter.install arch_test # basic cycle-check file
mix arch_test.gen.phoenix # Phoenix layers + naming + conventions
mix arch_test.gen.layers # web → context → repo
mix arch_test.gen.onion # domain → application → adapters → web
mix arch_test.gen.modulith # bounded-context isolation
mix arch_test.gen.naming # no Managers, schema placement
mix arch_test.gen.conventions # no IO.puts, dbg, bare raise
mix arch_test.gen.freeze # baseline existing violations

Generated files are plain ExUnit tests — edit to fit your namespaces and delete what doesn’t apply.

More information in arch_test/README.md at main · yoavgeva/arch_test · GitHub

Add {:igniter, “~> 0.7”, only: [:dev, :test], runtime: false} and you’re set.

Lucassifoni

Lucassifoni

Very nice ! I just spent a bit of the last week introducing this same idea to some of my applications. Boundary is great too but does not work on this exact problem.

In my case I chose to write a basic elixir script that I added to my CI and work with text and allowlists, with a warning and error level. Text can seem naïve (and it is) but this allowed me to surface similarities in naming in various parts of the codebase that made me think “huh, I wouldn’t want to embark a developer with those 3 things having such similar names” and made that an error.

It helps me in refactors by making the “before” state a CI and lint error, and fixing occurences one by one. I think I should migrate to your tool.

byu

byu

Very nice, I definitely want to add this to my projects.

Trying out 0.2

I first attempted mix igniter.install arch_test , and it’s failing; a manual install {:igniter, “~> 0.7”, only: [:dev, :test], runtime: false} in deps followed by compiling the dependencies fail with the same errors involving use Igniter.Mix.Task:

eg:

    error: module Igniter.Mix.Task is not loaded and could not be found. This may be happening because the module you are trying to load directly or indirectly depends on the current module
    │
  2 │   use Igniter.Mix.Task
    │   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    │
    └─ lib/mix/tasks/arch_test.gen.conventions.ex:2: Mix.Tasks.ArchTest.Gen.Conventions (module)

It looks like arch_test has a reference to igniter, but doesn’t include igniter in its own mix deps?

yoavgeva

yoavgeva OP

Hi, Sorry about this issue, fixed on version 0.2.1, let me know if you have more issues

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Is this not enforced by the Elixir compiler itself? I clearly remember introducing cycles and being slapped by the compiler about it.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews