msantoli

msantoli

We are developing a phoenix application where we have a dashbaord with multiple widgets.
Each widdget is a liveview and they are rendered at runtime in the main liveview page:

<%= live_render(
@socket,
module_name,
id: dashboard_widget.id,
session: %{
some_params
}
) %>

In some of these widgets we have assign_async to lazy load data.
If we have only 1 widget in the dashbaord everything is working perfectly.
If we had more thatn 1 widget with assign_asyncs inside, it can happens that on one of the widgets the asyng variable is not updated correctly, we always have the loading state set to true.
Putting IO.inspect to tdebug the async_task is working properly and returns without errors, it looks like it is the liveview variables that don’t get updated.

Thanks
Massimo

Showing Posts 1 to 3

gushonorato

gushonorato

It’s hard to help without seeing the code from the parent and child LiveViews, but I have a question: is there any good reason to use LiveViews for implementing the widgets instead of a LiveComponent?

msantoli

msantoli OP

Hello Gustavo

The main reason for implementing widgets with a LiveView instead of the LiveComponent, was ( at least to my knowledge ) that is much easire handling PubSub messages, without having a central broker in the main LiveView that dispatches to the LiveComponents…
Since these is an IoT dashboard with a lot of live updates we though this approach would simplify the overall dispatching.

Having said this here is the code of an example widget ( broken down to the essential part ), whith also the trick to make everything work

@impl true
def mount(_params, session, socket) do

....

{:ok,
 socket
...
 |> assign(:ui_data_backup, %{ok?: false, loading: true, result: nil})
 |> assign(:ui_data, AsyncResult.loading())
 |> start_async(:load_ui_data, fn -> select_action_for_map_async(data_instance, user.timezone, widget, tenant_id) end)

…
}
end

def render(assigns) do

....
    <div :if={@ui_data_backup.loading} class="h-full">

             <div class="flex justify-center items-center w-full h-full">
                <div class="text-center">
                  <h1 class="text-4xl font-bold text-black">
                    <%= gettext("Loading Data") %>
                  </h1>
                  <p></p>
                </div>
              </div>
      </div>

      <div :if={ui_data = @ui_data_backup.ok? && @ui_data_backup.result} class="h-full">
   		...   	
      	Loaded Data
      </div>
end

def handle_async(:load_ui_data, {:ok, fetched_data}, socket) do
%{ui_data: ui_data} = socket.assigns
data = AsyncResult.ok(ui_data, fetched_data)

result = data.result

socket =
  if Map.has_key?(result, :event_action) do

      case result.event_action do
        "set_position" ->
          socket
          |> push_event("set_position", result.single_position)

        "loadMapCluster" ->
          socket
          |> push_event("loadMapCluster", result.map_data)

        _ ->
          socket
      end

  else
    socket
  end
  
# hack timer to reset assign
Process.send_after(self(), :update_timer, 250)
{:noreply, assign(socket, :ui_data, data)}

end

def handle_async(:load_ui_data, {:exit, reason}, socket) do
%{ui_data: ui_data} = socket.assigns
{:noreply, assign(socket, :ui_data, AsyncResult.failed(ui_data, {:exit, reason}))}
end

def handle_info(:update_timer, socket) do

data = socket.assigns.ui_data
result = data.result

socket =
  if Map.has_key?( result, :event_action) do

      case result.event_action do
        "set_position" ->
          socket
          |> push_event("set_position", result.single_position)

        "loadMapCluster" ->
          socket
          |> push_event("loadMapCluster", result.map_data)

        _ ->
          socket
      end

  else
    socket
  end


# Update the variable when the timer completes
{:noreply,
  socket
  |> assign(ui_data_backup: data)
}

end

the async function is working correctly but even if the async variable is assigned the liveview doesn’t (always) update.
With the hack we made, setting a timer to reload another variable, which behaves exactly the same, works 100% of the time…

With one widget ( one additional liveview ) the issue of not updating happens rarely, but if we have more widgets ( more liveviews ) in the same page the problem gets more and more frequent.
With the hack shown above all widgets/liveview update consistently.

gushonorato

gushonorato

It looks like you’re running into some race conditions with your LiveView updates. I think the issue is that push_state is happening before the ui_state is ready. Try splitting the logic for updating the socket and calling push_event into two separate functions. For example:

def handle_async(:load_ui_data, {:ok, fetched_data}, socket) do
  %{ui_data: ui_data} = socket.assigns
  ui_data = AsyncResult.ok(ui_data, fetched_data)
  socket = assign(socket, :ui_data, ui_data)

  send(self(), :update_timer)

  {:noreply, socket}
end

I get why you’re nesting LiveViews, but if it were up to me, I’d go with a LiveView + LiveComponent setup and a central broker. By consolidating state updates in a single place, you can more effectively manage transitions and reduce the chance of race conditions. Furthermore, using fewer LiveViews and more LiveComponents with a central broker reduces the number of processes the application needs to open, which lowers resource consumption and ensures better scalability as the application grows.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews