Qqwy
TypeCheck Core Team
When programming a module in Elixir, I like to start my module with one or two ‘main’ functions that show the main flow of data that will go on in here, and then write out the ‘small’ functions that are used internally in there.
I find this to be very readable, and giving future readers the opportunity to first see the problem from afar, and then zoom in to the part where you think something might need to be changed or updated.
Now I’ve seen multiple people writing modules in the opposite fashion, with the smallest (often private) functions on top, and the main functions at the bottom. I personally find it less nice to read, but are there any advantages of this approach?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
I do prefer to have public stuff at the very top of my source files, sorted by importance, after that all the private stuff in random order¹. Organizing the module this way, makes public stuff much more discoverable.
Nevertheless, especially when getting back from a C, C++, Idris, or Agda marathon, I often code in the opposite direction, because all of these languages need to have at least declare before use.
1: Whenever I realize there is a new private necessary I hit PgDn a couple of times, and when my cursor is in the section of private functions, I start to code/hack where I am.
karolsluszniak
This is indeed a nice question. Reading through Programming Elixir, I’ve got an impression that each public function should have its private helper functions grouped directly under it. This is certainly made easy by such a compact privacy notation of
defanddefp.Still, I didn’t find any info about this neither in the book nor in other articles (such as the style guide). Maybe it’s a delicate matter and no one wants to enforce one way.
I’d also suggest taking a look at source code of serious repos like Elixir, Phoenix or Ecto. I find Elixir sources nicely written and highly readable.