shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello, I am creating a LMS that lets the user to download file. The user need the file should send me his token and after validating I let him download whatever he needs.
Now how can I stop user from downloading directly? because files are uploaded by admin in ftp, and ftp path is in my server

I don’t know where I can start?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

wolfiton

wolfiton

You can start by storing your files in your application in the assets folder then add authorization that only one type of user can download unlimited that file(ex: admin can download but user can’t).

If this scenario doesn’t work, then you can create a field in the user tables called plan. When a user pays you update the plan to paid. Then create a rule that only users with a paid plan can download files.

If you want to be even more specific then you will have to create another table with all the files structure like this:

  • id
  • file_name

Then create a join between the user tables with the files tables and verify each user to what file they belong

Also you will have to setup a payment system paypal stripe etc.

Also this link may provide some help Phoenix file download

outlog

outlog

I would “proxy” the download through phoenix..

user buys product - you persist purchase in DB
user hits /download_file/#{file_id}
phoenix verifies the login/session and purchase and then reads the file (or streams it) and sends it to the user

if you have multiple files just show a list of files and then the user can download on /download_file/#{file_id}

that way the user never gets a direct link and if the user shares the link /download_file/#{file_id} - the “stranger” clicking it will fail on having a session/logged in - and will fail on the purchase.. so it doesnt work..

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

I think I need this lines of code. this is the place I can start.

conn |> put_resp_header("content-disposition", ~s(attachment; filename="#{filename}")) |> send_file(200, filename)
shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

would you mind explaining me more pleas? the stream file can be attractive, I haven’t used it before (streams)

cnck1387

cnck1387

To protect files in the past (and will be likely how I will do it in an upcoming Phoenix app) would be similar to how I do it with other tech stacks. I let nginx deal with it for the most part, while still doing authentication / authorization within Phoenix.

I’d keep the protected files outside of the main static assets folder.

Then have an “internal” location block in my nginx config like this:

  location /supersecrets/download/ {
    internal;
    alias /supersecrets/;
  }

Then for the download route at the Phoenix level, I’d authorize the download with a token and before I send the response, I’d set the Content-Disposition, X-Accel-Redirect and Content-Type headers which basically tells Phoenix to let nginx serve the file.

Here’s what that looks like in Python:

    response.headers['Content-Disposition'] = "attachment; filename=foo.zip"
    response.headers['X-Accel-Redirect'] = '/supersecrets/download/foo.zip'
    response.headers['Content-Type'] = 'application/octet-stream'

Of course you can change foo.zip to whatever file you’re serving.

I used this exact strategy like 5 years ago to serve a bunch of protected content and it held up very well.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Hello, Thanks
I use this code:

  def download(conn, _params) do
    file = File.read!("/Users/test/name.png")

    conn
     |> put_resp_content_type("image/png")
     |> put_resp_header("Content-disposition","attachment; filename=\"test.png\"")
     |> put_resp_header("X-Accel-Redirect", "/tempfile/download/test.png")
     |> put_resp_header("Content-Type", "application/octet-stream")
     |> send_resp(200, file)
  end

I have a question , how can use File.stream! instead of File.read!. I want to create chunks what I need and send to my user

wolfiton

wolfiton

ASfter a google search found this

https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/working-with-file-system-in-elixir--cms-28869

Sample code from the first link:

iex> stream = File.stream!("haiku.txt")
%File.Stream{
  line_or_bytes: :line,
  modes: [:raw, :read_ahead, :binary],
  path: "haiku.txt",
  raw: true
}
shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

I saw these link before and test, but I had a error when I wanted to send file

file = stream = File.stream!("test.png")

    conn
     |> put_resp_content_type("image/png")
     |> put_resp_header("Content-disposition","attachment; filename=\"test.png\"")
     |> put_resp_header("X-Accel-Redirect", "/tempfile/download/test.png")
     |> put_resp_header("Content-Type", "application/octet-stream")
     |> send_resp(200, file)

send_resp has this error

no function clause matching in Plug.Conn.resp/3

if I change |> send_resp(200, file.path) it has no error but I couldn’t to create my chunk size and send to my user, and is it my file streams?


what about chunk?

I tested this code:

File.stream!("haiku.txt") |> Enum.with_index |> Enum.each(fn {content, _index} ->
****
end)

but I don’t know how can I change this line |> send_resp(200, file) that sends stream file to user download manager

wolfiton

wolfiton

Do you have a controller? or are you just trying to use static files?

Also here is a complete discussion on this Provide send_attachment/3 · Issue #1786 · phoenixframework/phoenix · GitHub

Try the

send_chunked(200)
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Seems like Plug.Conn — Plug v1.20.2 is the right call here. I see that this was tried earlier, what about it didn’t work?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews