Rich_Morin
When Elixir doesn’t recognize a variable name, it tries to make helpful suggestions. It could also make suggestions when a program tries to use a function that isn’t available.
For example, when the user tries to run List.join/2, Elixir could suggest Enum.join/2. (I’d submit this as an Issue on GitHub, but I don’t know where it should go. :-})
-r
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Rich_Morin
The relevant function clause appears fo be
Exception.message/4on line 925:defp message(:"function not exported", module, function, arity) do ...LostKobrakai
That’s the type of suggestion it will probably never be able to give. The existing suggestions just iterate through all variables or all function names and compare what you wrote in your code with what’s available. So it’s a simple similarity check of strings.
Knowing that
List.joinshould beEnum.joinon the other hand requires a whole lot of extra knowledge about elixir – even knowing thatListmight correspond toEnumin the first place. As most Enum functions return lists it does fit quite well as suggestion forList, but what about other modules of enumerable types likeMaporTuple. ForMap.map/2I’d expect different behaviour asEnum.map, as it should return a map not a list. The proper suggestion would imho rather beMap,new/2, which takes an enumerable (so also a map), maps over it and returns a map. Or e.g.Tuple.filter/2: Even though there’s a Enum function of that name filterering doesn’t make very much sense for tuples, which are meant to be fixed-size containers of data. EvenList.group_bydoesn’t fitEnum.group_byvery well, as it’s one of the fewEnumfunctions not to return a list, but a map of data.