mauric
Hello !
I’m looking for a remote job as elixir/phoenix developer.
I have a degree in software engineer, I have a reasonable programming knowledge and I learned functional programming using Haskell in the University.
The problem is that I have no working experience in the industry, due to personal reasons I always worked in something else but now I want to start working as a remote developer and after discovered Phoenix seems to be a good technology to work on.
This is what I have done:
- Read the book Programming Elixir ≥ 1.6.
- Read the book Programming Phoenix ≥ 1.4.
- Read the Phoenix documentation.
- Started 2 or 3 projects just to practice.
- Right now, I’m learning LiveView.
I learned this technologies:
- Elixir
- Phoenix
- Absinthe
- Git
- PostgreSQL
- Docker
The questions are,
- Witch other technologies or skills I need to learn to be more likely hired to work?
- There’s any open source project where I can work for free and gain experience ?
- Where can I look for a remote job ? beyond Elixir Jobs and Linkedin.
Thanks!
Mauricio.-
Trending in Member Profiles
Hey everyone,
I’m Anton, a full-stack developer and systems architect with 15 years of experience, most of it spent deep in Elixir/OTP a...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tfwright
If you’re trying to land a programming job without any professional experience my advice would be to create a project, any project, that showcases what you’ve learned and know how to do in code you can share with interviewers.
amarandon
That might be obvious but familiarity with Linux system administration is also important.
scouten
What @tfwright says is so spot on.
I wrote about this in my own reflection on my career as a software developer.
I made my break almost 30 years ago. The technologies are obviously different today, but I believe the fundamental message I wrote then (search for “Hint to aspiring programmers” in that page) remains valid:
Find a problem that needs to be solved and solve it.
Your passion in having solved that problem will speak far louder than any bullet point you will ever put on your resumé.
rey
PM me. Looking for a junior dev.