ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov

Hello, when I use this for logging in the error.log file I get only error logs but in the info file there are both info and error logs. How can I make it log only info?

config :logger,
  backends: [{LoggerFileBackend, :info},
             {LoggerFileBackend, :error}]

config :logger, :info,
  path: "/path/to/info.log",
  level: :info

config :logger, :error,
  path: "/path/to/error.log",
  level: :error

Showing Posts 1 to 9

tckb

tckb

may be trying changing the name of backend?

config :logger,
  backends: [{LoggerFileBackend, :info_log},
             {LoggerFileBackend, :error_log}]

config :logger, :info_log,
  path: "/path/to/info.log",
  level: :info

config :logger, :error_log,
  path: "/path/to/error.log",
  level: :error
ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov OP

Still works fine only for error logs.

tspenov

tspenov

Looking at the docs https://github.com/onkel-dirtus/logger_file_backend, I think that adding metadata_filter that corresponds to {LoggerFileBackend, :info} should work:

config :logger, :info,
  path: "info.log",
  level: :info,
  metadata_filter: [application: :info]
tckb

tckb

wouldn’t that force you add a metadata for each log message?
as in

Logger.info("log log log",application: :info)

ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov OP

Now it doen’t even create the files.

ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov OP

It seems to work fine using the third example.

# in a config file:
config :logger,
  backends: [{LoggerFileBackend, :device_1}]

config :logger, :device_1
  path: "/path/to/device_1.log",
  level: :debug,
  metadata_filter: [device: 1]

# Usage:
# anywhere in the code:
Logger.info("statement", device: 1)
tspenov

tspenov

Yes, seems my assumption is wrong :(. Seems that metadata_filter works only when you add the metadata directly in the log message.

tckb

tckb

err, @ayhan.rashidov I am wrong, this is not a bug. Actually, the data you see is 100% correct. When you mention logging level info all the logs that are less or equal to the verbosity will be logged regardless of the backend.

Verbosity levels:
debug > info > warn > error

so “info” level will log all info, warn and error logs and “warn” will log all warn & error logs ., etc.

if you really want only error logs to a file and only info logs in one log ( I would advice against it) . you can use metadata.

config :logger,
  backends: [{LoggerFileBackend, :info},
             {LoggerFileBackend, :error}]

config :logger, :info,
  path: "/path/to/info.log",
  level: :info,
  metadata_filter: [level: :info]

config :logger, :error,
  path: "/path/to/error.log",
  level: :error,
  metadata_filter: [level: :error]

and you may use like –

Logger.info("This is info log",level: :info)
Logger.error("This is info log",level: :error)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews