mwoods79
Last year at Jax.Ex (Jacksonville Elixir Meetup) we live mob coded the start of a dotenv parser to learn NimbleParsec. It’s been on my list of things to complete for a while. Today Claude Code helped me finish the outstanding issues.
Features
- Comments: Lines starting with
#are ignored- Export prefix: Optional
exportkeyword (shell compatibility)- Quoted values: Single and double quotes with escape sequences
- Multi-line values: Quoted values can span multiple lines
- Empty values:
KEY=produces an empty string- Digits in keys: Variable names like
DB2_HOST,API_V2_URLare supported- Escape sequences:
\n,\t,\r,\\,\",\'in quoted strings- Blank lines: Multiple blank lines and trailing whitespace are handled correctly
You can use it like this:
# config/runtime.exs
import Config
# Load environment-specific .env file if it exists
env_file = ".#{config_env()}.env"
if File.exists?(env_file) do
env_file |> File.read!() |> Envious.parse!() |> System.put_env()
end
# Do your normal 12-factor things
config :my_app,
key1: System.get_env("KEY1"),
key2: System.get_env("KEY2")
https://github.com/jax-ex/envious
Hope you find it useful. ![]()
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
halostatue
Add an issue to Enviable and I’ll add a reference to Envious since I mention both nvir and dotenvy.