pajawa

pajawa

I am trying to run a parameterize’d test with both a :group set and async: true.

The ExUnit docs state: “If both :async and :parameterize are given, the different parameters run concurrently”.

I would expect this to still apply even if a :group is supplied, however, it appears that all parameterized tests use the same group, and they end up running serially.

e.g.

defmodule ParamAsyncGroupTest do
  use ExUnit.Case,
    group: :some_group,
    async: true,
    parameterize: [%{param: :a}, %{param: :b}, %{param: :c}, %{param: :d}]

  test "testing with param", ctx do
    IO.inspect("Testing param: #{ctx.param}")
    Process.sleep(5_000)
    assert true
  end
end
% mix test 
Running ExUnit with seed: 856650, max_cases: 16

"Testing param: d"
."Testing param: c"
."Testing param: b"
."Testing param: a"
.
Finished in 20.0 seconds (20.0s async, 0.00s sync)
4 tests, 0 failures

If I remove the :group then the tests run in parallel:

defmodule ParamAsyncGroupTest do
  use ExUnit.Case,
    # group: :some_group,
    async: true,
    parameterize: [%{param: :a}, %{param: :b}, %{param: :c}, %{param: :d}]

  test "testing with param", ctx do
    IO.inspect("Testing param: #{ctx.param}")
    Process.sleep(5_000)
    assert true
  end
end
%  mix test 
Running ExUnit with seed: 162988, max_cases: 16

"Testing param: d"
"Testing param: c"
"Testing param: a"
"Testing param: b"
....
Finished in 5.0 seconds (5.0s async, 0.00s sync)
4 tests, 0 failures

Thoughts on this?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

ausimian

ausimian

The documentation states “tests in the same group never run concurrently”.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews