hazardfn
Hey All,
I had a quick question regarding ExUnit - it appears to start your application by default which is a different behaviour to EUnit.
I was wondering if there is a way to tell ExUnit to not start the application when running mix test, I’d like to control the start/stop of the application inside the test itself for various reasons.
Also is there a reason for this behaviour difference between ExUnit and EUnit?
Thanks for the help!
/Howard
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hubertlepicki
Use --no-start option as described here:
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/master/lib/mix/lib/mix/tasks/test.ex#L56
The reason is probably convenience. Most people want to start the app for the tests, I think, so that’s the default.
hazardfn
Thanks for the reply
,
I disagree a little with elixir doing this for unit tests as in most cases it’s a bit of an unnecessary overhead and sometimes in your Jenkins/GitLab/Travis test environment it’s not even possible to start all included applications.
EUnit tests are supposed to be lightweight, white-box function-by-function tests. ExUnit seems to be blurring the line between EUnit and CT, which may be the intention and I could just be stuck in my erlang ways.
But as you quite rightly pointed out the answer was staring me in the face in the documentation
.
hubertlepicki
funny enough, I just wanted to do the same thing. So I can give you better, albeit late answer.
In order to avoid writing
mix test --no-testin command line, you can define an alias in yourmix.exsfile like this:This way, whenever you run
mix testsit will skip the starting application. Here’s a blog post I found on the subject that gives couple more extra tips:https://virviil.github.io/2016/10/26/Elixir-Testing-without-starting-supervision-tree.html
KronicDeth
The link to Virvill’s blog is dead now, but it is still available on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine