Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer

Creator of Raxx

I have the following small bind (or flat_map) implementation for error tuples.

@spec bind({:ok, a} | {:error, reason}, function(a) :: {:ok, b} | {:error, reason}) ::
        {:ok, b} | {:error, reason}
      when a: any, b: any, reason: term
def bind({:ok, value}, func) when is_function(func, 1), do: func.(value)
def bind({:error, reason}, _func), do: {:error, reason}

When I use this function as follows

@spec safe_div(integer, integer) :: {:ok, float} | {:error, :zero_division}
def safe_div(_, 0) do
  {:error, :zero_division}
end

def safe_div(a, b) do
  {:ok, a / b}
end

OK.bind({:ok, 4}, &safe_div(3, &1))

I see the following warning.

test/integration.ex:5:no_return
Function run/0 has no local return.
________________________________________________________________________________
Please file a bug in https://github.com/jeremyjh/dialyxir/issues with this message.

Failed to parse warning:
[{:"(", 1}, {:"{", 1}, {:atom_full, 1, '\'ok\''}, {:",", 1}, {:atom_part, 1, 'a'}, {:"}", 1}, {:|, 1}, {:"{", 1}, {:atom_full, 1, '\'error\''}, {:",", 1}, {:atom_part, 1, 'r'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'e'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'a'}, {:atom_part, 1, 's'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'o'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'n'}, {:"}", 1}, {:",", 1}, {:atom_part, 1, 'f'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'u'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'n'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'c'}, {:atom_part, 1, 't'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'i'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'o'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'n'}, {:"(", 1}, {:atom_part, 1, 'a'}, {:")", 1}, {:::, 1}, {:"{", 1}, {:atom_full, 1, '\'ok\''}, {:",", 1}, {:atom_part, 1, 'b'}, {:"}", 1}, {:|, 1}, {:"{", 1}, {:atom_full, 1, '\'error\''}, {:",", 1}, {:atom_part, 1, 'r'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'e'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'a'}, {:atom_part, 1, 's'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'o'}, {:atom_part, 1, 'n'}, {:"}", 1}, {:")", 1}, {:->, 1}, {:"{", ...}, {...}, ...]


Legacy warning:
test/integration.ex:12: The call 'Elixir.OK':bind({'ok', 4},fun((_) -> {'error','zero_division'} | {'ok',float()})) breaks the contract ({'ok',a} | {'error',reason},function(a)::{'ok',b} | {'error',reason}) -> {'ok',b} | {'error',reason} when a :: any(), b :: any(), reason :: term()
________________________________________________________________________________
test/integration.ex:42:unused_fun
Function fetch_key/2 will never be called.
________________________________________________________________________________
done (warnings were emitted)

I can’t make head or tail of it. Any help would be appreciated.
You can see the full code on this PR. Add remaining type specs by CrowdHailer · Pull Request #54 · CrowdHailer/OK · GitHub

Showing Posts 1 to 7

NobbZ

NobbZ

You have the function type wrong. I’ll try to take a closer look into it in a couple of minutes.

sasajuric

sasajuric

Author of Elixir In Action

To specify a lambda, you should use (arg1, arg2, ... -> result). With that change, the following typespec should be working:

@spec bind({:ok, a} | {:error, reason}, (a -> {:ok, b} | {:error, reason})) ::
          {:ok, b} | {:error, reason}
        when a: any, b: any, reason: term
NobbZ

NobbZ

Yes exactly, that was my intuition as well, but at the time of my writing, I was only on a mobile, the following diff works for me:

diff --git a/lib/ok.ex b/lib/ok.ex
index dd333dc..b640eb0 100644
--- a/lib/ok.ex
+++ b/lib/ok.ex
@@ -44,3 +44,3 @@ defmodule OK do
   """
-  @spec bind({:ok, a} | {:error, reason}, function(a) :: {:ok, b} | {:error, reason}) ::
+  @spec bind({:ok, a} | {:error, reason}, (a -> {:ok, b} | {:error, reason})) ::
           {:ok, b} | {:error, reason}
Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer OP

Creator of Raxx

Interesting. I wonder why this one was not a problem.

https://github.com/CrowdHailer/OK/blob/master/lib/ok.ex#L27-L30

NobbZ

NobbZ

Because you create a parameter named function(a) which shall have the type b, which again is an alias for any. And there is no value that contradicts any.

Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer OP

Creator of Raxx

Thanks.

One further question.
The parameters in the spec (a, b, reason) are just alias for anyway?
There is no way to make dialyzer realize that if given a function that returns integers the return type will be {:ok, integer} is there?

i.e.

{:ok, :my_atom} = OK.bind({:ok, 4}, &safe_div(3, &1))

That should raise an error becase the return type is really {:ok, integer} | {:error, term}. As far as I am aware there is no way to teach dialyzer that

NobbZ

NobbZ

That all occurrences of a should have the same type is only a semantic and mostly of documentation also purpose. Dialyzer does not check if this is actually true.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews