jackalcooper

jackalcooper

I’m trying to parse Zig source with NimbleParsec and come across some cases like these:

  • in the definition of containerdeclarations, it uses itself
containerdeclarations = choice(
  testdecl |> concat(containerdeclarations),
  toplevelcomptime |> concat(containerdeclarations),
  optional(doc_comment) |> optional(keyword_pub) |> concat(topleveldecl) |> concat(containerdeclarations)
)
  • expr uses asmexpr indirectly while asmexpr uses expr
asmexpr =
  keyword_asm
  |> optional(keyword_volatile)
  |> concat(lparen)
  |> concat(expr)
  |> optional(asmoutput)
  |> concat(rparen)
primaryexpr =
  choice([
    asmexpr,
    ifexpr,
    keyword_break |> optional(breaklabel) |> optional(expr),
    keyword_comptime |> concat(expr),
    keyword_nosuspend |> concat(expr),
    keyword_continue |> optional(breaklabel),
    keyword_resume |> concat(expr),
    keyword_return |> optional(expr),
    optional(blocklabel) |> concat(loopexpr),
    block,
    curlysuffixexpr
  ])

prefixexpr = repeat(prefixop) |> concat(primaryexpr)

multiplyexpr = prefixexpr |> optional(multiplyop |> concat(prefixexpr))

additionexpr = multiplyexpr |> optional(additionop |> concat(multiplyexpr))

bitshiftexpr = additionexpr |> optional(bitshiftop |> concat(additionexpr))

bitwiseexpr = bitshiftexpr |> optional(bitwiseop |> concat(bitshiftexpr))

compareexpr = bitwiseexpr |> optional(compareop |> concat(bitwiseexpr))

boolandexpr = compareexpr |> optional(keyword_and |> concat(compareexpr))

boolorexpr = boolandexpr |> optional(keyword_or |> concat(boolandexpr))

expr = boolorexpr

Showing Posts 1 to 10

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Yes, you can have recursive combinators. But they need to be defined as defparsec in order to create their own context. They will need to be defined in their own module since they become functions. Something like (not complete):

defmodule Combinators do
  import NimbleParsec
  
  defparsec :asmexpr, 
    keyword_asm
    |> optional(keyword_volatile)
    |> concat(lparen)
    |> parsec(:expr)
    |> optional(asmoutput)
    |> concat(rparen)
    
  defparsec :primaryexpr,
    choice([
      parsec(:asmexpr),
      ifexpr,
      keyword_break |> optional(breaklabel) |> optional(parsec(:expr)),
      keyword_comptime |> parsec(:expr),
      keyword_nosuspend |> parsec(:expr),
      keyword_continue |> optional(breaklabel),
      keyword_resume |> parsec(Lexpr),
      keyword_return |> optional(parsec(:expr)),
      optional(blocklabel) |> concat(loopexpr),
      block,
      curlysuffixexpr
    ]) 

  # Other combinators
end
jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

They will need to be defined in their own module since they become functions.

I am trying to keep the structure and naming convention of Zig’s official peg so I’m using this kind of workaround for function and variable with same name. No sure if this would work.

expr = parsec(:expr_parsec)
.... others
boolorexpr = boolandexpr |> optional(keyword_or |> concat(boolandexpr))
expr = boolorexpr
.... others
defcombinatorp(:expr_parsec, expr, export_metadata: true)
  • after around 30s I got errors
==> kinda
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Compiling lib/parser.ex (it's taking more than 10s)

== Compilation error in file lib/parser.ex ==
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in NimbleParsec.Compiler.label/1    
    
    The following arguments were given to NimbleParsec.Compiler.label/1:
    
        # 1
        10
    
    Attempted function clauses (showing 10 out of 12):
    
        defp label({:string, binary})
        defp label({:label, _combinator, label})
        defp label({:bin_segment, inclusive, exclusive, modifier})
        defp label(:eos)
        defp label({:lookahead, combinators, _})
        defp label({:repeat, combinators, _, _})
        defp label({:eventually, combinators})
        defp label({:times, combinators, _})
        defp label({:choice, choices, _})
        defp label({:traverse, combinators, _, _})
        ...
        (2 clauses not shown)
    
    (nimble_parsec 1.2.3) lib/nimble_parsec/compiler.ex:960: NimbleParsec.Compiler.label/1
    (elixir 1.14.2) lib/enum.ex:1755: anonymous fn/2 in Enum.map_join/3
    (elixir 1.14.2) lib/enum.ex:4292: Enum.map_intersperse_list/3
    (elixir 1.14.2) lib/enum.ex:1755: Enum.map_join/3
    (elixir 1.14.2) lib/enum.ex:1755: anonymous fn/2 in Enum.map_join/3
    (elixir 1.14.2) lib/enum.ex:4292: Enum.map_intersperse_list/3
    (elixir 1.14.2) lib/enum.ex:4292: Enum.map_intersperse_list/3
    (elixir 1.14.2) lib/enum.ex:1755: Enum.map_join/3
could not compile dependency :kinda, "mix compile" failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile kinda", update it with "mix deps.update kinda" or clean it with "mix deps.clean kinda"
jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

more updates:

jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

update:

jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

update:

  • as expected, there are many bugs
  • one approach I found to debug combinators with NimbleParsec is to export all the sub combinators with defparsec to make it possible to run smaller tests to see if it works
jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

also, adding tag to the combinator also help. Often the matching works but it is not matched by expected combinators

100phlecs

100phlecs

This may be of interest to you, though I’m not certain on its status: GitHub - E-xyza/zig_parser: Zig Parser for Elixir · GitHub

It is created with GitHub - ityonemo/pegasus: peg -> nimbleparsec · GitHub

An unrelated thought, but curious of the advantages and disadvantages of the PEG route vs a traditional lexer + parser

ityonemo

ityonemo

It works (well enough for my zigler 0.10.x development branch) and is currently designed to parse zig 0.10.x

jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

It works!
Do you have any plan for source code generation from a Zig AST in Elixir?

ityonemo

ityonemo

I don’t. Actually in the long run I want to deprecate using the zig parser because there will ideally be compiler hooks in zig that will let us see this information without having to do it again

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews