jaysoifer
This is my setup:
Mac OS 10.12.1
ViM 8.0.52
Exuberant Ctags 5.8
My .vimrc has: set tags=tags
I’ve created a ~/.ctags file with the following patterns from the Elixir cTags repo on github:
--langdef=Elixir
--langmap=Elixir:.ex.exs
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*def(p?)[ \t]+([a-z_][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)/\2/f,functions,functions (def ...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defcallback[ \t]+([a-z_][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)/\1/c,callbacks,callbacks (defcallback ...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defdelegate[ \t]+([a-z_][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)/\1/d,delegates,delegates (defdelegate ...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defexception[ \t]+([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_]*\.)*([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)/\2/e,exceptions,exceptions (defexception ...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defimpl[ \t]+([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_]*\.)*([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)/\2/i,implementations,implementations (defimpl ...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defmacro(p?)[ \t]+([a-z_][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)\(/\2/a,macros,macros (defmacro ...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defmacro(p?)[ \t]+([a-zA-Z0-9_?!]+)?[ \t]+([^ \tA-Za-z0-9_]+)[ \t]*[a-zA-Z0-9_!?!]/\3/o,operators,operators (e.g. "defmacro a <<< b")/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defmodule[ \t]+([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_]*\.)*([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)/\2/m,modules,modules (defmodule ...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*defprotocol[ \t]+([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_]*\.)*([A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_?!]*)/\2/p,protocols,protocols (defprotocol...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*Record\.defrecord[ \t]+:([a-zA-Z0-9_]+)/\1/r,records,records (defrecord...)/
--regex-Elixir=/^[ \t]*test[ \t]+\"([a-z_][a-zA-Z0-9_?! ]*)\"*/\1/t,tests,tests (test ...)/
The ctags navigation within my own project files work just fine. But whenever I try to see the source code for the Phoenix Framework itself (or its dependencies) I get a
E426: tag not found: Mix
(Mix is just one example)
How do I fix this and navigate Phoenix’s source code?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
Why not use alchemist? It is a vim completer (and more) for Elixir that actually parses the language to be able to get the information better than ctags regex matching could.
Hrmm, I think I’d need more logs for that. I’ve not tried ctags with elixir.
jaysoifer
Nevermind ctags… I’m having the same issue using alchemist
It uses the same shortcut ^] that is ( ctrl + ] )
OvermindDL1
Can you
catthat file at that exact displayed path from the same environment as vim is running in?jaysoifer
Nailed it.
That used to be the project’s path.
Thank you for noticing that but I also have no idea how to update that reference.
OvermindDL1
Unsure about that, nothing in elixir or phoenix that alchemist or ctags would rely on seem to hardcode absolute directory paths that I’ve seen… o.O
What is your system?
jaysoifer
I’m not sure what you mean, have you seen my system’s info on the original question?
Is it something other than that?
jaysoifer
Just updated the question to the current issue
OvermindDL1
Ah, mac, might need someone else then, I know its file system does some funky weird stuff. ^.^
jaysoifer
jaysoifer
Just confirmed it was a problem with my setup.
Ran
mix deps.getandnpm installagain, everything is working.