teamon

teamon

Context

I have a small team working on one elixir application.

Every developer runs the app locally.

The app is built with mix release inside docker on CI and deployed as a container.

Over time, we’ve settled on this approach to configuration files:

  • config/config.exs provides a common build-time configuration base for all dev/test/prod
  • config/dev.exs provides a build-time configuration for all developers
  • config/dev.local.exs gives a handy way to override development config locally - each developer can put whatever they need in there (per-user config, developer secrets, etc.), this file is put into .gitignore
  • config/test.exs provides all necessary configuration to run tests - this is to ensure that mix test can be run right after git clone without any configuration necessary
  • config/prod.exs provides build-time config for production
  • config/releases.exs provides runtime config for production, which is essentially ENV variables mapping with System.fetch_env!/1 so the app fails to start when some configuration is missing

Config files examples

Click to expand
# config/config.exs - common build-time config for all
use Mix.Config

config :phoenix, :json_library, Jason

import_config "#{Mix.env()}.exs"
# config/dev.exs - all config for development
use Mix.Config

config :myapp, MyAppWeb.BasicAuth, user: "", pass: ""

import_config "dev.local*.exs"
# config/prod.exs - build-time config for production
use Mix.Config

config :myapp, MyAppWeb.Endpoint, server: true
# config/test.exs - all config for test
use Mix.Config

config :myapp, MyAppWeb.Endpoint, server: false
config :myapp, MyAppWeb.BasicAuth, user: "test", pass: "test"
# config/dev.local.exs - local config for development, gitignored
use Mix.Config

config :myapp, MyAppWeb.Endpoint, url: [host: "alice-dev-proxy.example.com"]
config :myapp, MyAppWeb.BasicAuth, user: "", pass: ""
# config/releases.exs - runtime config for production
import Config

config :myapp, MyAppWeb.BasicAuth,
  user: System.fetch_env!("ADMIN_USER"),
  pass: System.fetch_env!("ADMIN_PASS")

The problem

The new preferred way of runtime configuration is to use config/runtime.exs.

This file will be executed regardless if run with mix or as a part of the release.

Now, if I simply rename my config/releases.exs to config/runtime.exs it will blow up in dev & test due to System.fetch_env!/1 usage. Nobody have all the ENV values referenced locally (a lot of the are secrets).

I can’t seem to find any reference on how to deal with such case.

Any ideas?

Bonus question

Another, somehow-related issues is using .exs files as runtime configuration.

With elixir 1.10 I could add import_config "foo.exs" at the bottom of config/releases.exs and then mount foo.exs file on a production system at /app/releases/0.1.0/foo.exs (docker on kubernetes via ConfigMap).

With elixir 1.11 it now fails with ** (RuntimeError) import_config/1 is not enabled for this configuration file. Some configuration files do not allow importing other files as they are often copied to external systems, which seems to be a bit ironic, as I do want to “copy to external system” :upside_down:

The question here is: I DO want to use runtime-mounted .exs file as a configuration (alongside ENV vars) simply because it is much better than yaml, but it seems to be discouraged.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

at hexpm we ended up with the following:

# config/runtime.exs
import Config

if config_env() == :prod do
  config :hexpm, ...
end

[1] hexpm/config/runtime.exs at 5b86630bccd308ecd394561225cf4ea78b008c8e · hexpm/hexpm · GitHub

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews