justinjunodev

justinjunodev

This post is extremely difficult and quite frankly embarrassing to write.

But, I’m desperately looking for a full-time remote position. I have a few years of professional experience (including remote) under my belt and have worked multiple contracts over the last year. While I’m thankful for each of these opportunities, the gaps in pay and unstable hours have really begun to take a toll on my family.

Over this last year I’ve applied for more than 100 full-time roles and have had very little traction. I’m not sure if this is actually due to my skills, luck, or possibly because I’m currently working in the over-saturated field of frontend development (one of the many reasons I’m learning Elixir).

Regardless, I could really use some help and good vibes right now. If anyone is looking for a frontend or an extremely junior elixir developer who is eager to grow, let me know. I’m not concerned about making a lot of money, just stability and the ability to continue doing the work I love. I’ll even consider paid internships.

Here is a link to my portfolio, if anyone is interested or wants to pass it along. You can view the hire page to get a better idea of my experience.

Showing Posts 11 to 20

AstonJ

AstonJ

Just like to add something I don’t think has been mentioned yet… you are already on the biggest networking platform ever created - the internet! :003:

Write blogs, be active on forums, create tools or other interesting or useful stuff and there’s a really good chance you will get noticed :smiley:

When I first got into Ruby I started writing blog posts because I was so in love with it and I wanted everyone else to know how special it was. After writing my first few I got offered a job by a leading Rails shop! There have been quite a few offers since and I genuinely believe it’s because people employ people first and foremost - if you are already programming, then you already have the ability to program, and more specialised skills or new languages can be learnt - but finding passionate, compatible people for your team is far more challenging.

Alternatively, forge your own path - create your own business. You don’t even have to be creative, just look at what’s around you and see how you can make it better.. with nothing in this universe being perfect, you can pretty much pick anything! (Though maybe start with something ‘easy’ :lol:)

Another option is creating open source software - although the software itself is free, you’re not - and you can make a living through public speaking, endorsements etc :smiley:

Good luck and keep us posted :023:

justinjunodev

justinjunodev OP

Thanks and will do! I’m actually working on adding a blog to my current site so I can talk about how great Elixir is, as well as what I’m learning. :+1:

bzhr

bzhr

Hey Justin, just want to let you know that you are not the only one struggling to find a good remote full time job. I had a similar difficulty myself, applying to different positions for the past 3-4 months and not being able to secure one. I have been applying to ads on Hacker News jobs thread and Angel List.

To be more specific I’ve been applying for a backend Python (Django) or full stack (Django/React) roles, a stack that is very common today. Django and React are the most used technologies on Hacker News jobs thread for a while.

I’ve had about 6 interviews, with coding assignments submitted. In two of these the choice came down to two developers and I didn’t get the job. Also, in two interviews I was told that there have been many applications (200+), so there’s obviously a lot of competition for a remote full time job.

I have some financial stability and ongoing projects to keep me secure in the medium term, but I am aiming to get a full time remote position and it’s not as easy as it may seem.

Cochonours

Cochonours

Not even in Paris could you get this much as a n00b contractor. 400 euros a day is after years of experience, n00bs start more around like 200.
And indeed in Paris I used to block recruiters, but as soon as you move outside of the few biggest cities it’s much more difficult to get jobs, let alone remote jobs, which usually pay less and are more difficult to come by.

@justinjunodev it does seem to me that there are way more remote position available in the USA than in Europe, so there is hope!

GenericJam

GenericJam

I’ve been in a similar position as you. After I had my qualifications, I still had to work in construction in one city I lived as there was no computer industry to speak of. It’s very difficult as a junior to work (remotely) effectively in a company and most companies know that. You need to get a lot of the tools under your belt such as git/agile/scrum/… This is best done in an environment that can mentor you which is best done in person. It would take an exceptional company to take the time to train someone remotely when they don’t have these infrastructure type skills in place.

The Elixir/Erlang ecosystem is pretty difficult to break into as well because there is a chicken/egg problem of employers generally want more experience even if it is with something other than Elixir.

I know this is a terrible answer that I was always irritated with but I would recommend building side projects and contributing to open source libraries and building your own as a means of showing competence. I know this isn’t an immediate answer to your situation (another thing that always irritated me).

Another thing you can do is use your current skill set to pivot. This is what I did with my current role. I came in with React Native and jumped at the idea of using Elixir when the opportunity came up. There are companies that are building the whole stack that need some front end people that also build the backend. If you pay attention to the Elixir ecosystem a bit you’ll be able to find them.

All the best. I wish you success.

justinjunodev

justinjunodev OP

Yeah, I know there are a lot of us out there searching and in need. Which was another reason I was hesitant to create this post in the first place. My wife and I have been talking a lot recently about extending the search outside of remote and even the DFW area. As I think it would really increase my chances and hopefully provide a better life for our little family.

Keep me posted on your hunt, I’d love to know where you land. If I come across any Python/React gigs in my search, I’ll happily shoot them your way. Cheers!

justinjunodev

justinjunodev OP

Agreed, there are a lot here so I hope that it’ll help in my search. :crossed_fingers:

justinjunodev

justinjunodev OP

That’s definitely some good advice. I definitely have a fews years of professional experience in the javascript and frontend ecosystem and would consider myself a mid-level engineer. Though I have a led in some smaller contract roles/gigs.

I have a pretty steady steam of side projects and have started contributing more to open source as of late. So I’m hoping that’ll help as I continue on my search.

I really appreciate your sharing and your advice. Thanks! :+1:

venomnert

venomnert

I just want to bumb this post up, because I too am in the same situation as well. Wish you all the best @justinjunodev!

justinjunodev

justinjunodev OP

Good luck on your search friend. What is your stack? I’ll happily keep an eye out and shoot stuff your way if I come across anything. :+1:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews