Seeking Help (Career)

Good luck on your search friend. What is your stack? I’ll happily keep an eye out and shoot stuff your way if I come across anything. :+1:

Another thing to consider, when applying for jobs ,is the supply and demand for technologies. For example, at the moment there are a lot of Python and JavaScript developers, even though there are a lot of open positions for these roles there is also a lot of competition.

I’ve recently noticed that on Upwork there is a growing demand for Dart/Flutter developers, while the supply is still low, compared to e.g. React Native developers.

I think that a good job prospect is a sufficient reason to learn a new technology. So I’ve been thinking about picking up Dart lately.

Great minds think alike! That’s exactly why I picked up and decided to start learning Elixir. There are just too many JavaScript (React) developers out there right now. So it’s really difficult to set yourself apart from the crowd.

3 Likes

Just dropping by to wish you the best and sending good vibes, as a toddler’s parent I know how hard could be things with small kids. Maybe you could try looking by contacting some recruiters on LinkedIn rather than listing sites, those are actually highly visible to the dev community and remote is highly desirable. I have had good luck with Cybercoders in the past. Local company to me posted some remote jobs for React devs that you may want to check https://spatialnetworks.com/careers/, if my job had any opening i’ll def could get you in but hey are on a hiring freeze now.

1 Like

Recruiters are a really good idea–good ones know the market and can help you find a fit. (Plenty of bad ones of course who do nothing but keyword-matching…) I also have had good experience with Indeed.com and with no other listing sites.

2 Likes

It is funny the disparity between job hunters and providers. Seekers say they can’t find anything, but my company has a remote elixir position up right now on this very forum, and we’ve had, like a couple applicants over the last few weeks?

I only had to apply to like, maybe three positions I found on this forum before I landed a position and my professional elixir experience was minimal.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback and advice everyone! I’ve really appreciated it and the encouraging words. :+1:

1 Like

I just wanted to quickly thank all of you for your support, kind words, and the job!

I received an offer yesterday and will be moving forward with it. I owe it all to this community and one individual specifically. I’ll be sharing more details about it next week via Twitter. If you want to follow me there or find out more: https://www.twitter.com/justinjunodev.

P.S. @AstonJ or any other moderators, feel free to lock this thread down.

13 Likes