Hiive is looking for a Senior Elixir Backend Engineer to join our product team and work on an Elixir / Phoenix backend GraphQL API.
Hiive is a fintech/marketplace startup, backed by seasoned professionals with decades of experience in venture capital, private equity, and capital markets. The company has built a revolutionary trading platform for buyers and sellers of shares in private late-stage venture-capital backed companies and “unicorns,” bringing a rational, beautiful and modern technological interface to a messy and opaque traditional market.
My name: Logan Leger
My position: VP, Engineering
Company name: Hiive
Company website: https://hiivemarkets.com/
Company headquarters (country): Vancouver, Canada
Company info and history:
We’re growing fast and hiring multiple positions across the engineering team. Come be a part of an excellent and supportive engineering culture!
We’ve been using Elixir since day 1. We’re big fans of Elixir; our engineering organization is full of long-time Elixir developers, including myself. Our backend processes large transactions using complex business logic. The system is evented using an asynchronous event bus. The backend also has a large GraphQL schema powered by Absinthe. It serves a frontend built with TypeScript and React.
About the job
Job title: Senior Engineer
As a Senior Elixir Backend Engineer at Hiive, you will be a hands-on contributor to the backend system powering our platform. You will collaborate with technical leaders and the founding team to deliver new core features to our application. You will work closely with your colleagues to refactor and improve the codebase; create a robust, scalable and secure infrastructure; and build an excellent and supportive engineering culture.
Salary range: Highly competitive salary with the opportunity to participate in ownership through our employee stock option plan.
Position on remote work: We are a remote team with a strong in-person culture at our Vancouver HQ. Sponsorship, immigration and relocation for exceptional candidates.
We would expect qualified candidates to have substantial experience in Elixir. They will be will be a hands-on contributor to the backend system powering our platform. Qualified candidates might have 3-5 years of experience (this is illustrative but not a requirement).
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
- Implementing new features in collaboration directly with the founding team
- Proactively finding new ways to improve the system and our team
- Performing code review
About the interview process
Our interview process has 3 rounds.
- A quick, 15-minute chat to get to know you and learn about your experience. You’ll also get a chance to learn about us, the job, and the team.
- A 60-minute technical interview where we’re collaborate on an implementation. This is a real-world engineering problem, not a puzzle. We’re trying to learn how you process requirements, ask questions, and approach work that approximates what you’ll do day-to-day.
- A 45-minute chat with the team you’ll be working with to make sure we’re a good fit for you and you’re a good fit for the team.
Feel free to DM me on the Elixir Slack with more questions! I am the hiring manager.
Learn more and apply on our job board: