Rich_Morin
I’d like to know if anyone has tried using Crystal for NIFs, etc. If so, any caveats and/or comments?
-r
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
Eh, I doubt it would work well. Crystal has a couple immediate things going highly against it to start with:
Garbage Collector: This will significantly conflict with Erlang’s GC, especially as Erlang may not give it much time to run until it decides to in some callback.
Global Lock: This means Crystal can’t run parallel code, and the BEAM assumes it can run NIF’s in parallel, thus effectively freezing those BEAM threads until they all serially return.
If you want a native-style ruby’ish language, look at Nim, not Crystal, it would get closer to working well.
StevenNunez
Is this still true? Looks like they’ve progressed in their Concurrency/Parallelism story Parallelism in Crystal - The Crystal Programming Language
DevotionGeo
Still the main problem is garbage collector. Crystal like Go isn’t a good fit for Erlang NIFs.
randito
(forgive me.. about to talk about Crystal on an Elixir forum)
Crystal has such potential. I feel like it needs a “killer app” to help it get the attention it needs.
DevotionGeo
It’s OK!
Elixir community is so open to everything. In fact, almost half of the Elixir developers were previously Ruby developers including Jose and Chris, and the other half were Erlang developers. Those Ruby developers came to Elixir for the power of BEAM and the Erlang developers came to it for its expressiveness.
If they find something more expressive than Elixir, and more powerful and battle tested than BEAM, they’ll happily prefer it over Elixir.
In fact, DevTalk is a child forum of this forum, where we Elixir developers discuss everything, from LISP and Smalltak to OCaml and Zig, and there are some very talented members who are great at several languages.
Crystal is, of course, a very capable language. It’s statically typed, fast, and if you know Ruby, you already know Crystal. There are also some great web frameworks for Crystal like Lucky.