negcx

negcx

I am using Visual Studio Code and the great vscode-elixir-ls extension, which was recently updated. I am getting syntax highlighting in .leex and .eex files which is great.

However, none of the VS Code HTML language features are working: HTML formatting, tag matching, attribute autocompletion, etc.

I have tried including some settings that I had enabled for prior extensions:

"[html-eex]": {
    "editor.tabSize": 2,
    "editor.defaultFormatter": "vscode.html-language-features"
  },
"emmet.includeLanguages": {
    "html-eex": "html"
  },

This has not succeeded. When I try to save the file VS Code reports that the HTML Language Features ‘extension’ has failed to format the file. For other extensions I have forked to add html-eex support, but I believe this is built right into VS Code. (such as GitHub - negcx/vscode-html-css: Visual Studio Code Extension - CSS support for HTML documents · GitHub)

Has anyone solved this or found a different solution?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

This will take some work that no one has put in the time yet. Here’s the VSCode documentation on an embedded language:
https://code.visualstudio.com/api/language-extensions/embedded-languages

Dusty

Dusty

A complete solution isn’t here yet, but I’ve been circumventing the tag completion piece with snippets. The snippets were one of many awesome gifts that The Pragmatic Studio has provided as part of their LiveView course.

Here is a gist with the snippets—scroll down for the HTML tags in EEX (sorry for the excessive indentation I’m on mobile and can’t easily fix).

Although VS Code allows you to configure snippets by language, I think it works better to put them in a global snippets file with the scope property specifying the language. That way you only write the snippet once, but can use it in EX. EEX, LEEX, etc.

The only functional difference with the snippets is that you need to type the trigger instead of the tag, for example div then tab, rather than <div>.

I know it’s only a piece of what you’re looking for, but it makes a big difference for me.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This enables auto formatting or just auto completion?

Dusty

Dusty

Technically, just the latter. The snippets are pasted in place exactly as you write them, so newlines and such are observed, and VS Code takes care of appropriate indentation based on cursor position, but using snippets would not have any effect on the missing "editor.formatOnSave" functionality. It’s a simple workaround, rather than any attempt to replace Emmet, but since some aspects of Emmet are snippet-driven, it can replace that feel if you are willing to write a lot of snippets (or copy Emmet snippets into your own file).

negcx

negcx OP

By the way, my setting above did get Emmet snippets to work (e.g. div>div>h1). If I’m being honest, I’m looking more for the linting, attribute autocomplete, etc. These snippets are great though, thanks for those!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews