voger

voger

Hello, I wanted to create an input object with an enum type and a default value but I can’t make it work.

My query

query GetStatuses {
  statuses {
    text
    recipient {
      nickname 
    nickname
    }
    sender {
      nickname
    }
  }
}

And my resolver function head

def list_statuses(_, %{input: filters}, %{context: %{current_user: current_user}})

I am trying to start simple with one filter and add more filters later

  • First attempt


# the types module 
 input_object :statuses_privacy do
    field :privacy, :privacy
  end

  enum :privacy do
    value :public
    value :private
  end

# in the query object
  field :statuses, list_of(:status) do
     arg :input, :statuses_privacy, default_value:  :public
     resolve &Statuses.list_statuses/3
   end

This gives

Request: POST /graphql/graphiql
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol Enumerable not implemented for :public of type Atom. This protocol is implemented for the following type(s): Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Stream, Postgrex.Stream, DBConnection.Stream, DBConnection.PrepareStream, HashSet, Date.Range, MapSet, IO.Stream, Map, Function, List, HashDict, Stream, GenEvent.Stream, Range, File.Stream
  • Second attempt

# in the query object
    field :statuses, list_of(:status) do
      arg :input, :statuses_privacy, default_value:  %{privacy: :public}
      resolve &Statuses.list_statuses/3
    end

This works for a query but when graphiql tries to fetch the schema I get again

Request: POST /graphql/graphiql
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol String.Chars not implemented for %{privacy: :public} of type Map. This protocol is implemented for the following type(s): Postgrex.Query, Postgrex.Copy, Decimal, Float, Date, Integer, Version.Requirement, Time, DateTime, List, BitString, NaiveDateTime, URI, Version, Atom
        (elixir 1.10.3) lib/string/chars.ex:3: String.Chars.impl_for!/1
        (elixir 1.10.3) lib/string/chars.ex:22: String.Chars.to_string/1
        (absinthe 1.4.16) lib/absinthe/type/built_ins/introspection.ex:288: anonymous fn/2 in Absinthe.Type.BuiltIns.Introspection.__absinthe_type__/1
        (absinthe 1.4.16) lib/absinthe/resolution.ex:206: Absinthe.Resolution.call/2
  • Third attempt


# in the types module
  input_object :statuses_privacy do
    field :privacy, :privacy, default_value: :public
  end

  enum :privacy do
    value :public
    value :private
  end

# in the query object
    field :statuses, list_of(:status) do
      arg :input, :statuses_privacy
      resolve &Statuses.list_statuses/3
    end

This time the input map is not passed at all in the resolver

** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in TweetCloneWeb.Resolvers.Statuses.list_statuses/3
        (tweetclone 0.1.0) lib/tweetclone_web/resolvers/statuses.ex:16: TweetCloneWeb.Resolvers.Statuses.list_statuses(%{}, %{}, #Absinthe.Resolution<[acc: %{Absinthe.Middleware.Async => false, Absinthe.Middleware.Batch => %{input: [], output: %{}}}, adapter: Absinthe.Adapter.LanguageConventions, arguments: %{}, context: %{__absinthe_plug

How can I have an input argument as a map with default values like this:

%{input: {privacy: :public}}

and default value set to :public?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

dtrippe

dtrippe

I was able to provide a default with (using examples from the docs here)

  enum :contact_type do
    value(:phone, as: "phone")
    value(:email, as: "email")
  end
input_object :contact_input do
  field :type, non_null(:contact_type), default_value: "phone"
  field :value, non_null(:string)
 end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews