Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files have been created in the process and this has lead to an increase in compile time in my application. I did some digging and found that it is best practice to follow the format in this repository for phoenix applications phoenix_live_view_example
The probable root cause of my compile time issues is most definitely related to imports of helper functions using the
DemoWeb, :live_view
format, how can I improve my application’s compile time performance which takes about 1 minute to compile and recompile without compromising on best practices?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
rhcarvalho
Hi, welcome back to the forum!
Using
mix xrefis a good way to start measuring.You can find other threads and posts about it.
Which version of Elixir and Phoenix are you using? With which version of Phoenix was the app generated?
Within the few years, I remember there were changes to the templates to improve compilation/reduce cycles.
LostKobrakai
mix xref graph --format cycles --label compile-connected --fail-above 0This is the one you should pay attention to first. It lists compile connected cycles. You want to avoid them as best as possible by splitting cycles at some link to make the dependency graph acyclic. Usually those cycles have like a long chain of runtime dependencies with a single compile time dependency making the whole chain compile connected. That’s where you want to try to move the compile time dependency out of the chain.
Alvinkariuki
Let me give it a review.
Currently using
Alvinkariuki
This pointed me to the right track, I was able to reduce the compile label dependencies significantly. Found the root cause which was functions imported from an already heavily used module in the AppWeb module. Which I moved to the few liveviews and live components that needed them
Reduced the recompile from over 300 files to 6