TomGrozev

TomGrozev

Hello all,

Today I am excited to announce ArangoXEcto, an all-in-one ArangoDB adapter for Ecto, has reached version 2.0. This included a lot of reworks of functionality and now has (what I would say is) a pretty good integration with standard Ecto functionality.

If you don’t know what ArangoDB is, it is a powerful graph database that is performant, scalable and feature rich. One of the powerful features of ArangoDB is that it can act as a regular NoSQL database as well as a graph database and is designed for enterprise uses as well (ai bandwagon anyone?).

As far as I am aware this may be the most integrated a graph database has been into Ecto, i.e. without having to use excessive non-Ecto functions, however, I could be wrong on this so keen to hear if anyone else has tackled this challenge.

The journey
Before I started my journey in Elixir I had used ArangoDB with Python and when I discovered (and fell in love with) Elixir I immediately wanted to use ArangoDB with Elixir. When I had a look around for packages I was disappointed to find that there was no package that integrated with Ecto (at least above version 2). So, being the good citizen of the open source community that I like to think I am, I decided to write my own ArangoDB adapter that directly integrated with Ecto.

To get started I drew upon mpoeter’s conversion of Ecto queries to AQL (ArangoDB’s query language) and used the amazing Arangox package for database connections. So thank you to both of the aforementioned for their contributions.

What I had embarked on was a lot more work than my naive self had first bargained for. As it turns out, it is not so easy to get a graph database to function with a tool that was originally designed for relational databases. However, after many iterations of functionality I believe I have finally gotten it to a point where using a graph database with Ecto is quite seamless.

Yes, there are some edge cases and some asterisks on some functionality but as it stands everything works pretty well!

Going forward
Looking to the future I would like to do a few things:

  1. Look into furthering graph database support directly into Ecto through a PR (e.g. supporting multiple queryables on associations and more). At the moment some functionality is re-implementations of code already in the Ecto codebase and that can be problematic for maintainability.
  2. Further develop the named graph functionality
  3. Implement some of the more advanced ArangoDB functionality (i.e. some more of the enterprise features)

Please let me know your thoughts on the library.

https://github.com/TomGrozev/arangox_ecto

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews