supersimple
Hex Core Team
@adkron brought up an interesting point today; Case and cond statements could be better represented as multiple function heads.
for example:
case :foo do
{:ok, :bar} -> :baz
{:error, _} -> :bing
end
versus
private_fun(:foo)
....
defp private_fun({:ok, :bar}), do: :baz
defp private_fun({:error, _}), do: :bing
I am just wondering if one is more performant than the other. And also, which style is preferred.
Trending in Discussions
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
casewhich spans the whole function, wouldn’t make any difference, its compiled to the same bytecode anyway.Are therefore equivalent.
If you replace a
casein a function by a call to a function in the same module, there might be the slight overhead of a local function call, but depending on the optimisation settings, it might get inlined. In performance critical parts I wouldn’t rely on the inline, but in general I do considerfoo = find_the_answer(data)much more readable thanfoo = case data do … end, so I’d prefer extracting into a function most of the time.If you have a case in a function as before and replace it with a function in a different module, you’ll pay the “cost” of a remote call. It will never get inlined. But even here I’d prefer the function call, if it makes sense in the context of the application design.
Conclusion:
Only ever consider the “faster” way when you know its actually a problem. You know what Dijkstra said about premature optimisation?
tty
In general I would favor function heads because of the way Erlang VM treats functions. It’s not about speed. The VM uses function executions, aka reductions, as a means of determining when to allow a process to run. In addition SASL works on functions, having the built-in error reporting work for you is always a Good Thing. Lastly, you can turn on function tracing at runtime, something unavailable with expressions.
Coding wise, I do find it easier on the eyes with another function head then another case block. This also avoids the case lead Pyramid of Doom.
I’m not certain if Elixir case, if, cond are converted internally into function heads or dealt with in a different manner.
NobbZ
In fact, they are not, but it is the other way round. During compilation function heads are compiled into the bytecode equivalent of a
case-expression.stefanchrobot
I personally have a strong preference for
case, because I don’t like the repetition of function name.