sergio-ocon

sergio-ocon

Hi,

I am trying to build a multiple architecture image using Docker build.

> docker build -t chargio/liveview_counter --push --platform linux/arm64  .

I get an error (139) running this
> [+] Building 7.3s (16/28)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              docker:desktop-linux
>  => [internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      0.0s
>  => => transferring context: 1.35kB                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    0.0s
>  => [internal] load build definition from Dockerfile                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   0.0s
>  => => transferring dockerfile: 2.54kB                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 0.0s
>  => [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/debian:bookworm-20230612-slim                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       0.9s
>  => [internal] load metadata for docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.15.3-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bookworm-20230612-slim                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             1.0s
>  => [builder  1/17] FROM docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.15.3-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bookworm-20230612-slim@sha256:9fdcffc63a03bf77bf437510634ee7ad182135fc246283986c58fd8686c89326                                                                                                                                                                                             0.0s
>  => => resolve docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.15.3-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bookworm-20230612-slim@sha256:9fdcffc63a03bf77bf437510634ee7ad182135fc246283986c58fd8686c89326                                                                                                                                                                                                       0.0s
>  => [internal] load build context                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      0.1s
>  => => transferring context: 73.36kB                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   0.1s
>  => [deploy 1/6] FROM docker.io/library/debian:bookworm-20230612-slim@sha256:d8f9d38c21495b04d1cca99805fbb383856e19794265684019bf193c3b7d67f9                                                                                                                                                                                                                          0.0s
>  => => resolve docker.io/library/debian:bookworm-20230612-slim@sha256:d8f9d38c21495b04d1cca99805fbb383856e19794265684019bf193c3b7d67f9                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 0.0s
>  => CACHED [deploy 2/6] RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y libstdc++6 openssl libncurses5 locales   && apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*                                                                                                                                                                                                          0.0s
>  => CACHED [deploy 3/6] RUN sed -i '/en_US.UTF-8/s/^# //g' /etc/locale.gen && locale-gen                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               0.0s
>  => CACHED [deploy 4/6] WORKDIR /app                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   0.0s
>  => CACHED [deploy 5/6] RUN chown nobody /app                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          0.0s
>  => CACHED [builder  2/17] RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y build-essential git     && apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*                                                                                                                                                                                                                        0.0s
>  => CACHED [builder  3/17] WORKDIR /app                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                0.0s
>  => CACHED [builder  4/17] RUN mix local.hex --force &&     mix local.rebar --force                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    0.0s
>  => CACHED [builder  5/17] COPY mix.exs mix.lock ./                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    0.0s
>  => ERROR [builder  6/17] RUN mix deps.get --only prod                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 6.1s
> ------
>  > [builder  6/17] RUN mix deps.get --only prod:
> 6.023 qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - core dumped
> 6.036 Segmentation fault
> ------
> Dockerfile:39
> --------------------
>   37 |     # install mix dependencies
>   38 |     COPY mix.exs mix.lock ./
>   39 | >>> RUN mix deps.get --only $MIX_ENV
>   40 |     RUN mkdir config
>   41 |
> --------------------
> ERROR: failed to solve: process "/bin/sh -c mix deps.get --only $MIX_ENV" did not complete successfully: exit code: 139

Blockquote

The same works great when using amd64.

I am using the Dockerfile generated by mix release --docker. And I’ve changed the debian version several times to use ‘bullseye’ - the default, ‘buster’, and ‘bookworm’, with the same result.

Do you know if there is some problem with the arm64 version of the image?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Can you show us which exact container you’re using as a base?

sergio-ocon

sergio-ocon OP

I get the same error in the build phase using different docker images (as found here: https://hub.docker.com/r/hexpm/elixir/tags?page=1&name=debian-bookworm)

Darwin iMac-de-Sergio.local 22.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 22.5.0: Thu Jun  8 22:22:22 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.121.3~7/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

I’ve basically tried the non-slim version and it gets the same error, and I’ve found some similar errors with people trying to do the opposite (running amd64 containers in arm64 computers). I am using qemu 8.0.3 installed using brew.

The dockerfile:

# Find eligible builder and runner images on Docker Hub. We use Ubuntu/Debian
# instead of Alpine to avoid DNS resolution issues in production.
#
# https://hub.docker.com/r/hexpm/elixir/tags?page=1&name=ubuntu
# https://hub.docker.com/_/ubuntu?tab=tags
#
# This file is based on these images:
#
#   - https://hub.docker.com/r/hexpm/elixir/tags - for the build image
#   - https://hub.docker.com/_/debian?tab=tags&page=1&name=bullseye-20230612-slim - for the release image
#   - https://pkgs.org/ - resource for finding needed packages
#   - Ex: hexpm/elixir:1.15.3-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bullseye-20230612-slim
#
ARG ELIXIR_VERSION=1.15.4
ARG OTP_VERSION=26.0.2
ARG DEBIAN_VERSION=bookworm-20230612

ARG BUILDER_IMAGE="hexpm/elixir:${ELIXIR_VERSION}-erlang-${OTP_VERSION}-debian-${DEBIAN_VERSION}"
ARG RUNNER_IMAGE="debian:${DEBIAN_VERSION}"

FROM ${BUILDER_IMAGE} as builder

# install build dependencies
RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y build-essential git \
    && apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*

# prepare build dir
WORKDIR /app

# install hex + rebar
RUN mix local.hex --force && \
    mix local.rebar --force

# set build ENV
ENV MIX_ENV="prod"

# install mix dependencies
COPY mix.exs mix.lock ./
RUN mix deps.get --only $MIX_ENV
RUN mkdir config

# copy compile-time config files before we compile dependencies
# to ensure any relevant config change will trigger the dependencies
# to be re-compiled.
COPY config/config.exs config/${MIX_ENV}.exs config/
RUN mix deps.compile

COPY priv priv

COPY lib lib

COPY assets assets

# compile assets
RUN mix assets.deploy

# Compile the release
RUN mix compile

# Changes to config/runtime.exs don't require recompiling the code
COPY config/runtime.exs config/

COPY rel rel
RUN mix release

# start a new build stage so that the final image will only contain
# the compiled release and other runtime necessities
FROM ${RUNNER_IMAGE} as deploy

RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y libstdc++6 openssl libncurses5 locales \
  && apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*

# Set the locale
RUN sed -i '/en_US.UTF-8/s/^# //g' /etc/locale.gen && locale-gen

ENV LANG en_US.UTF-8
ENV LANGUAGE en_US:en
ENV LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8

WORKDIR "/app"
RUN chown nobody /app

# set runner ENV
ENV MIX_ENV="prod"

# Only copy the final release from the build stage
COPY --from=builder --chown=nobody:root /app/_build/${MIX_ENV}/rel/live_view_counter ./

USER nobody

CMD ["/app/bin/server"]

(the version has rotated between different versions of Debian + slim)

The application runs perfectly in x86_64. You can find the code here:
https://github.com/chargio/container_liveview_counter

And the description of it here:
https://medium.com/@chargio/how-to-easily-run-your-elixir-application-in-a-local-kubernetes-using-docker-desktop-f0c1ccfd49e6

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I scanned your linked blog post and noticed this:

 => [internal] load metadata for docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.15.3-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bullseye-20230612-slim                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             1.5s

When the image really should begin with hexpm/elixir-arm64 and not with hexpm/elixir.

Just a blind shot though, assuming you haven’t tried it.

sergio-ocon

sergio-ocon OP

Tried changing from Docker Desktop to Rancher Desktop with the same result when using QEMU and the Apple Virtualization framework (VZ), experimental.

sergio-ocon

sergio-ocon OP

The blog post is using amd64 as it is being deployed in a cluster in the cloud so it is ok.
Now I am trying to deploy the image in a raspberry pi (the cloud cluster is no longer active), and make the app multi-container, and I need to build the image for arm64 to make it run there. Unfortunately, it is not working. I am trying to understand if the problem is the image itself or qemu, because I no longer have an M1 machine to compile it for arm64.

[Corrected - it was amd64, not arm64]

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not sure I get this, if the FROM Dockerfile clause is not pointing at the right arch how can it be okay?

sergio-ocon

sergio-ocon OP

My mistake, the blogpost was written first time on an M1, but compiled by a friend and updated on an x86_64 Linux machine, then the second one on an X86_64 Mac as I no longer have the M1. Now I am trying to build the ARM version on the X86_64 machine to run it on K3s on a Raspberry Pi 4B, and it is failing.

I will try to do it tomorrow inside the Raspberry, even if it takes forever, and see if it works as expected.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I feel we’re talking past each other here.

Can you just try replacing this:

FROM hexpm/elixir:1.15.3-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bullseye-20230612-slim

with this:

FROM hexpm/elixir-arm64:1.15.3-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bullseye-20230612-slim

?

This should help you build it on any host, no?

cschmatzler

cschmatzler

Add ENV ERL_FLAGS="+JPperf true" to your Dockerfile.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews