martosaur
Creating a process that maintains a state and makes it available for other processes is one of the most common use cases for GenServer. And the very first optimization that is usually done here is using ETS to enable concurrent reads. In this post I show a simple Registry trick that makes it easier to do.
Trending in Blog Posts
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course
Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
Hi all,
I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
krasenyp
Short and sweet. Piggy-backing on Registry as a KV store is something I came up on my own and was wondering if it’s well-known.
martosaur
Yep, I love Registry! It was a little hard to grasp at first, but once it clicked… It’s weirdly powerful.
garrison
Concurrent readers on the ets table are fine for single-key reads, but if you want serializable multi-key reads you’ll either have to roll your own concurrency control or go back to the GenServer. Likewise if you’re only performing single-key writes you can allow concurrent writers on the ets table and it will still serialize the operations for you (it has its own locks).
adamu
Nice blog! Does it have an RSS feed?
martosaur
Thanks! No, no RSS yet, I need to look into adding it tho