prateek1192
I am trying to create a dynamic supervisor to start child processes. There are three modules I am using to do this, one is the main module, the second one is the Dynamic Supervisor and the third is the genserver. I do not get any errors but I am not able to see any child processes running.
Here is my code. The first one is the module having the main method
defmodule Simulator do
def main(args) do
{:ok, super_pid} = PersonManager.start_link(args)
start_persons(num_of_persons)
IO.inspect PersonManager.count_children, label: "The Persons started in main method are"
end
def start_persons(num_of_persons) when num_of_persons >=1 do
PersonManager.add_node(private_key, public_key, 0)
start_persons(num_of_persons-1)
end
# num_of_persons == 0 case handled
end
The following is a dynamic Supervisor
defmodule PersonManager do
use DynamicSupervisor
def start_link(args) do
DynamicSupervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, :ok, name: __MODULE__)
end
def add_node(private_key, public_key, num_of_coins) do
# The code flow does come here, used inspect to check
child_spec = {Person, {private_key, public_key, num_of_coins}}
DynamicSupervisor.start_child(__MODULE__, child_spec)
#The code flow does come here, used inpect to check.
end
end
The following is the GenServers the worker is supposed to create
defmodule Person do
use GenServer
def init({private_key, public_key, address, num_of_coins}) do
IO.puts "Starting a person"
{:ok, %{private_key: private_key, public_key: public_key, num_of_coins: num_of_coins}}
end
def start_link({private_key, public_key, address, num_of_coins}) do
IO.puts "Starting a person"
GenServer.start_link(
__MODULE__,
{private_key, public_key, address, num_of_coins}
name: {:global, "node:#{public_key}"},
)
end
end
I expect the genserver to be running but I get The Persons started in main method are: %{active: 0, specs: 0, supervisors: 0, workers: 0}
I dont know why the supervisor is not able to start the genserver.
Any help would be good.
TIA
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
Can you show this function
count_children?prateek1192
Thanks for looking into this Ben. Here is the function>
Also here is my full code defmodule Keypair do def generate() do :crypto.generate_key(:ecdh, : - Pastebin.com and defmodule Simulator do def main(args) do {:ok, super_pid} = PersonMa - Pastebin.com
rjc1980
Did you check the MIX OTP guide?
Here is the working code I made.
https://github.com/zurcacielos/kv_umbrella
and the MIX OTP guide is here