mlen
I seem to be stuck on some basic Ecto logic.
my Ecto version is 3.7.1
Given some schema:
schema :users do
field :name, string
field :zone, Ecto.Enum, values: ["Zone A": 1, "Zone B": 2, "Zone A and B": 3] # stored as integer in db
..
end
FYI: I don’t want to use composite types of :array, neither :string type for the zone.
Then when I do query the data:
# simplified for brevity
from(
u in Users,
select: [:id, :name, :zone],
where: [name: ^some_name]
)
|> Repo.all()
Each user object’s zone is shown as atom:
%MyApp.Users.User{
__meta__: ...,
id: 1,
name: "User A",
zone: :"Zone A" # I need this as integer
}
How do I make Ecto return the corresponding ids for zone field?
The reason I need that is later in the code I’m trying to create two list of users (with one db query), like so:
users = Users.get_all_active_users()
users_zone_a = Enum.reject(users, fn u -> u.zone == 2 end)
users_zone_b = Enum.reject(users, fn u -> u.zone == 1 end)
Any help greatly appreciated ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
krasenyp
That’s the idea of the enum in this case, to separate the presented value from the persisted one. What I would advise is to create a helper module which can encode and decode integers to and from
:"Zone A",:"Zone B"and so on. You should do the encoding/decoding at the “points” where your code interacts with the external word e.g. HTTP endpoints, database. This would allow you to work only with meaningful values and your comparisons will work.mlen
I realised (during breakfast..) that I could filter by the atom instead
e.g.
Not ideal but it works. Probably would be wise to have some encode/decode helper for those so it’s not spread all over the codebase.
LostKobrakai
The whole idea of
Ecto.Enumis to not spread the persisted value (the integers in your case) all over the codebase. You’re expected to use the atoms wherever you interact with the field, not the integers. Otherwise you could just use an:integerfield to begin with.But also there’s
Ecto.Enum.mappingsif you want to map between the representations.