hikabab
I’m building a custom Nerves system for a CM4-based board and running into a timing issue where the main Elixir application starts before all kernel drivers and hardware are fully initialized.
My firmware uses NervesTime with an RTC (PCF8563) on an I2C bus that’s created by a device tree overlay. During boot, NervesTime tries to initialize the RTC, but the I2C bus doesn’t exist yet:
22:43:22.173 [info] i2c i2c-22: Added multiplexed i2c bus 10
22:43:22.218 [debug] [NervesTime] starting /usr/sbin/ntpd with: ["-n", "-S", "/srv/erlang/lib/nerves_time-0.4.9/priv/ntpd_script", "-p", "0.pool.ntp.org", "-p", "1.pool.ntp.org", "-p", "2.pool.ntp.org", "-p", "3.pool.ntp.org"]
22:43:22.237 [error] [NervesTime] Cannot initialize rtc '{NervesTime.RTC.NXP.PCF8563, [bus_name: "i2c-10", address: 81]}': :bus_not_found
When I try to initialize the RTC later via iex, it works with no issues:
iex(2)> {:ok, ref} = NervesTime.RTC.NXP.PCF8563.init(bus_name: "i2c-10", address: 0x51)
{:ok,
%{
address: 81,
bus_name: "i2c-10",
i2c: %Circuits.I2C.I2CDev{
ref: #Reference<0.3964485155.1160904719.209822>,
retries: 0,
flags: [:supports_empty_write]
}
}}
I am considering adding an erlinit pre-run script to explicitly wait for the the hardware to be fully initialized, but am curious if there is a recommended Nerves pattern for waiting on hardware initialization? Ideally this would be baked into the Nerves system.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
fhunleth
Hi @hikabab,
You’re running into a common issue where libraries assume that hardware exists on initialization when it really shouldn’t. I make this mistake too and I’m on the maintainers list for that library, so I’m not blaming those involved. The usual answer is that the library needs to either retry or hook into the proper notification for when its requirements are met. I prefer retrying for these things since it’s simpler. Retries can also recover from I2C issues like the bus being temporarily hung.
If you’re looking for a pragmatic answer that does involve changing that library, then I think you have it. For other things, I’d suggest adding init code to an
Application.startcallback that gets run before the code that needs it. However, an RTC is special and affects the clock, so you’ll benefit by getting it initialized as early as possible.If you already have a custom Nerves system, then the way I’d solve the problem is to use the Linux device driver for the PCF8563. If it’s a built-in device driver and you’re loading the overlay via the
config.txt, then I’d expect system time to get set by the RTC before any Elixir code runs. I know others who prefer handling the RTC in Elixir, so if you’re interested in updatingNervesTime.RTC.NXP.PCF8563to retry and are open to sending PRs, then I’d work with the other maintainers to get that merged.hikabab
I actually did explore having Linux manage the RTC and ntpd directly, but that seemed contrary to the “Nerves philosophy” of handling as much as possible in Elixir rather than relying on traditional Linux tools.
I noticed that
nerves_timeis included as a dependency innerves_hub_link, and there was a PR (now closed) to check for time synchronization before attempting to connect. That made me think the intended direction was to have Elixir manage the RTC.I’m curious about the broader architectural direction here: should libraries like
nerves_timebecome more resilient with retries/timeouts to handle these timing issues? Or is it actually fine (or even preferable) to delegate responsibilities like RTC management to Linux and keep the Nerves system more self-contained?LostKobrakai
You can configure nerves_time to wait if time is really the only blocker: Add process to await system time adjustment up to configurable limit by LostKobrakai · Pull Request #98 · nerves-time/nerves_time · GitHub
lawik
When using the mostly-for-development SharedSecret method with NervesHub the time can really screw with the signing of the secret so that’s why that was considered. I’m not sure we ever merged that. It was also about this time I noticed just how long it can be between OS time getting NTP sync and Erlang actually warping time to match. Fun stuff. Not painful.. at .. all.
I wouldn’t necessarily consider nerves_hub_link to be a reference for the Nerves philosophy or best practice. It is well proven but has been worked on for a long time by many hands and contains more than one philosophy
It very much tries and retries the way that Frank is talking about. Because internet access is not a guarantee. Access to the hardware crypto chip is hopefully stable but if it blips, best try again later.
I think improving the RTC library sounds good. As that benefits us all.
But for something like an RTC using the Linux kernel driver is reasonably pragmatic as well. There is no purity
always a balancing act. You will se a mix in most production Nerves projects.