Freelance opportunity to work on various Elixir projects

Introductory paragraph:

Hello fellow developers. We are looking for a freelancer who enjoys working full stack in Elixir / Phoenix and would like to join us in developing various products. While it is a freelance job offering at the beginning, we hope to transition this position to something more permanent in the future.

We are based in Switzerland and work for small companies which we own. Our companies do mostly backend work in C++ for realtime and industrial applications. Therefore, we would need support with Elixir in general, but specifically with the front-end development (HTML, CSS, JS, web design).

About us:

My name: Michael Egli, Vaclav Cechticky
My position: Owner
Company name: bitmatch GmbH
Company info and history (how you’re using Elixir etc):

bitmatch creates software for industrial applications. Our current focus is the development of an innovative controller software for craft-beer breweries. These applications are mostly written in C++ (and Qt/QML), with some plans for Rust in the future.

Apart from this, we started working on some web projects in Elixir. One area of interest is to connect our controller software to a web application (for monitoring and reporting). Apart from this, we want to spin-off some unrelated web based projects.

About the job:

Job title: Full Stack Developer
Job description: You will have a chance to work on various applications, full stack.
Salary range: 2000 $/month
Position on remote work: Remote required. We would set up a call once in a while to align.

Qualifications or experience required:

• Elixir, Phoenix Framework required.
  • Front-End development (HTML, CSS, Javascript, Web Design) required.
  • PostgreSQL (and Ecto) desirable.

What the successful job applicant will be working on:

The first application will be a translation of a currently running PHP application to Elixir / Phoenix. We have already made some progress, but are looking for support to complete the migration. There are more features planned once the migration is complete. The application is a simple time tracking tool.

https://www.zeiten.io

The Elixir version is currently HTML only (without Javascript). We would like to enhance it with either LiveView or Vue.js (though we are open to discuss these JS frameworks).

Apart from this, we are working on other applications which we cannot yet reveal in public.

About the interview process:

We have more than 20 years of experience in software development. However, since we have been doing mostly backend work in other languages than Elixir, it is difficult for us to assess your experience in front-end development. We therefore suggest the following, once we received your application.

• We setup a call to talk about your experiences in SW development, what projects you worked on, how you like to work, etc.
  • We work on the above mentioned migration for zeiten.io for one month (paid work of course).
  • After one month, we see how things worked out for both parties.

Further info:

Since these are spin-off projects for us, the indicated payment is our maximum we can spend. However, we hope (and expect) that this will change soon. In any case, the work can be arranged flexibly, also part-time.

We hope to find someone enthusiastic about Elixir and web application development, and looking forward to your message.

Apply to:

jobs (at) bitmatch.ch

6 Likes

I’m definitely interested.

Yeah seams interesting, I also live near Switzerland. If only I got more time I would apply, all technology I know and love. But untile ottobre I’m completely full.:disappointed:

Hi @FelisOrion,

If you think this could be interesting for you, then please apply. We don’t expect candidates to be available immediately. October would be no problem.

Thanks! Michael

3 Likes

Hello Michael,

How many days of work are you counting per month on average for 2k$ a month? I could do half time (equivalent of 10 full days a month), so if it’s possible at all for you could you give an idea of the remuneration for such work?

1 Like

Hi @Cochonours,

Good question. We don’t expect anything in particular, but would like to hear from applicants how much they are willing to work for this amount of money. We are software engineers ourselves, and know that the time spent is often less relevant than the quality, the efficiency, and the creativity while doing the work.

Does this answer your question?

2 Likes

Indeed! I’ll try to find time to translate my resume into English this week before sending it to you.

@eglimi
I would like to know more about the timeline of the project so that I can plan accordingly.

Interesting, looks like you’re just 15 minutes away from where I live :wink:
Unfortunately I don’t have any time to help you, but good to know that there are some people interested in Elixir near here :smiley:
As I like brewing beer by myself too, I wish you good luck with your projects :beers:

Is this position still available?

I am available for freelance work.

code samples https://sandeshsoni.com/code-samples/
recent sample project http://tetris.sandeshsoni.com

Hi,

The response to our offer was really great. We would like to thank all of you who have reached out to us. This is really appreciated. It was amazing to get in contact with many very talented people from the community who would be excited to work on Elixir projects.

We are currently in final discussions to fill this role. But because it has now been open for a while now, I’m going to set it to closed. However, if you feel that you might be a perfect fit, please don’t hesitate to write an email :slight_smile:

Many thanks!
Michael

1 Like