Papillon6814

Papillon6814

Hello. I’m thinking the way to handle nil in case.

|> case do
    x when not is_nil(x) -> 
      ...
      {:ok, "xxxxxx"}
    nil ->
      ...
      {:error, "xxxxxxxx"}
end
|> case do
    nil -> 
      ...
      {:error, "xxxxxxxx"}
    topic ->
      ...
      {:ok, "xxxxxxxx"}
end

When I handle nil in case, I write codes in a latter way. What do you think of that?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You can also do like this, if topic is some kind of struct.

|> case do
  %Topic{} = topic -> ...
  nil -> ...
end
Papillon6814

Papillon6814 OP

Oops, I made a mistake. I should have changed topic to x :sweat_smile:
topic in the latter way is binary, so I only thought out the 2 ways.
Thank you!

dmitrykleymenov

dmitrykleymenov

About piping into case a good mention was in Good and Bad Elixir post. May be you should consider to match it to some variable? Especially with nil result possibility, you could rewrite it to if some_result, do: something, else: another

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

In case, I always go from most concrete to least concrete, like so:

case something do
  nil -> "nil"
  :a -> "the atom :a"
  text when is_binary(text) -> "text"
  list when is_list(list) -> "list"
  other -> raise(ArgumentError, "unexpected value: #{inspect(other)}"
end
Papillon6814

Papillon6814 OP

I’d like to use value of x in the process, so I chose case.
Do you give me an idea if the value is used in the pipelines?

dmitrykleymenov

dmitrykleymenov

At least that is said in the article :slight_smile: If you think it makes sence, yeah, you may assign intermediate result into variable and use it in case explicit. But it’s hard to tell without upstream code.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews