PaleWatcher
Suppose you have two fields in a Phoenix LiveView form where both are user-editable, and each one can be used to calculate the other.
Example:
A → derive B
B → derive A
Both inputs are valid entry points for the user.
The problem is that phx-change submits the entire form on every input change.
Once the form is submitted, the changeset receives both values at the same time and no longer knows which field was the actual user input and which one should be treated as the derived value.
A few obvious approaches seem problematic:
- always prioritizing one field breaks UX
- relying on
changed?can be unreliable because both fields may appear changed after recalculation - moving logic outside the changeset makes validation and calculation harder to keep consistent
What is considered the idiomatic Phoenix/Ecto approach for this kind of bidirectional dependency?
How do you usually preserve which field was the real user input when the whole form is submitted on every change?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Can’t you check
_target?LostKobrakai
You can use the _target to see which field triggered the event.
PaleWatcher
From the replies, it seems pretty clear that
_targetis the obvious answer here, since the real problem is simply preserving which field the user actually edited.So the actual design question becomes:
once
_targettells you which input triggered the change, where should that information live?Would you usually:
_targetinto a virtual field in the changeset (for example:calculation_sourcewith values like:price_entered/:discount_entered) and keep the calculation logic inside the changesetor
handle_event/3in LiveView before building the changesetMy instinct is that option 1 feels cleaner, because LiveView stays thin and the changeset remains responsible for business rules.
Is that considered the more idiomatic Phoenix/Ecto approach?
LostKobrakai
https://medium.com/very-big-things/towards-maintainable-elixir-the-core-and-the-interface-c267f0da43
Given the distinction made in that blogpost the logic belongs very much in the interface, not the core. This specific form in question is concerned with that auto calculation, but the next one might not be. I‘d expext the core just needs data to be aligned by whatever means most useful depending on the source for the data.
Both core and interface might still use changesets though.