moon13

moon13

Hello,

We are working on a project where we have a need to run our “agent” service in customer’s on-premise infrastructure as a Windows service. This is not a simple utility rather a complex system with about 10 to 12 microservices within it.

Here are general (and very high level) requirements for the service:

  • Highly concurrent, fault tolerant, scalable and resilient. Hard to crash and should require no (or minimal) administrative overhead.
  • Ability to have workers processing events from a queue.
  • Single deployable binary with an embedded storage / database.
  • Ability to maintain live & secured connection with its SaaS based central counterpart.
  • Integration with various Windows specific tools such as SCCM, AD, PowerShell, etc.
  • Auto-updating when new versions are released.

I have been doing a lot of research lately to identify the right tech stack for us.I have narrowed down to two choices: Golang and Elixir.

I have extensive Golang development experience. It is extremely simple to cross compile it to target Windows and generates simple deployable exe in the end. However, in my experience (and opinion), it is well suited for microservice based cloud / SaaS environments. Or a simple purpose-specific OS utility application. Using Golang will lead us to write a lot more boilerplate as well as, a bit of infrastructure to enable hot / on-demand upgrades.

From my research so far, it appears Elixir really excels in all of these fronts. However, I have few concerns mainly due to lack of my knowledge and experience with Elixir.

  • How easy would it be to generate a single binary to run as a Windows service?
  • What about protection of IP? I know that as soon as any Software gets on an un-trusted hardware, it is prone to be reverse engineered. However, how easy or hard would it be to break into Elixir based system compared to Golang?

I would also be interested to learn about any other gotchas, potential things that can go wrong or I should keep in mind,

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

There is no such thing as a BEAM ‘program’, it’s an ecosystem, not a single binary. However it is pretty trivial to make one as a windows service, the BEAM even comes with a program to do that (which is used by Distillary and so forth, highly recommended to use Distillary for deploys in such a way, unsure if mix release can do services but it might?).

Unsure what you mean by this precisely. A program is only as secure as how it is programmed, so it seems exceedingly based on what is made in it (excepting leaving epmd non-local or so).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews